Chapter 28: The Hunt

"Val, wake up," Trinity shook me awake. Groaning tiredly, I stood up and yawned.

"Mornin' Trin," I said groggily.

"You're finally awake," Trinity stated, rolling her eyes. "You sleep more than a Snorlax, I swear."

"No need to get all sassy," I said calmly. "I just stayed up late last night."

"Doing what?" she raised one eyebrow.

"Not like that," I deadpanned. "You know I'm not into that."

"Who knows what boys think or do," she said, crossing her arms. What was she, some kind of feminist?

"I'm not normal by any standards," I said, sighing. "Nevermind, let's get moving, I don't want to hear about your flawed perception and stereotyping of guys."

Trinity was about to argue, but Eevee, Hatenna, female Ralts, and Pikachu chose that time to wake up, yawning.

I smiled at my Pokemon. "Hey guys, sleep well?"

They nodded sleepily. Ralts looked about ready to collapse again, but Hatenna, who had a sudden burst of energy, tested out her newly-learned Mystical Fire to light a flame next to Ralts. The latter yelped and jumped, suddenly waking up.

Ralts glared at Hatenna, exclaiming, "Ral, Ralts!"

"Tenna," Hatenna said coyly in a falsely innocent tone, putting out the fire.

Ralts looked at me for support. I laughed at her expense.

"You had to wake up somehow," I shrugged.

She glared at me and crossed her arms with a cute huff. Rolling my eyes humorously, I rubbed her head, and I felt her gaze soften. She closed her eyes and gave me a "Ralts," which let me know that she forgave me and Hatenna.

"Hat!" Hatenna said happily.

"Vee?" Eevee looked at them with a blank stare.

I snickered and stood up. "You all seem to be getting along. Now all you got to do is get strong enough to protect the new member of the family."

Trinity, who was smiling stupidly at the cuteness of my Pokemon, looked at me curiously. "New member of the family? Don't tell me you wandered off last night to catch new Pokemon."

I sighed. "Contrary to your belief that I "relieved" myself last night, I was actually training with my Pokemon. Afterwards we took a walk and stumbled upon an egg that looked like it was abandoned."

What I didn't tell Trinity was that the egg wasn't actually abandoned and was, by all evidence, left there by someone... waiting for me. I had an idea as to who put it, but I refused to think about the possibility.

"Aw," Trinity said sympathetically, "it was abandoned?"

"Yeah," I said, somewhat sadly. I lifted my backpack and opened it, revealing the egg inside. I'd taken some of the pillow warmers we bought at the Poke Mart, which was made of material from Fire-type Pokemon such as Volcarona or Coalossal—pretty much all Pokemon with the Ability Flame Body—and stuffed it inside my backpack to warm up the egg. It was great for warming pillows when it gets chilly, but I also found that it was a great substitute for an egg incubator.