Chapter 41: Vali Hates His Life

"God, I hate teleporting," I groaned, suddenly dizzy from warping through space. "But I guess I need to get used to it."

"Lia!" Kirlia leaned her head forward, as if beckoning me.

"You're becoming too spoiled," I said. "Looks like I have to make our training hell."

Kirlia glared at me stubbornly. "Kirlia!"

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding," I laughed at her expression, before rubbing her head.

"Lia..." she said, satisfied.

After giving Kirlia head rubs, I returned Kirlia and stretched. "It's good to be back."

"Eevee!" my partner agreed from my shoulder.

I looked around and realized I was back in my room. I went up to the bed and checked on the egg. It shook as I touched it.

"It should be close to hatching," I said, rubbing it. I headed out of my room afterwards.

"Val, you're back," Trinity said, walking over to me from the hallway. "That was quick. Did Kirlia Teleport you?"

I nodded. "Yeah, she did."

"Why do you look so tired?"

I winced. "I'll tell you later..."

She frowned, but stopped herself from asking.

"Have you told Professor Cerise what happened?"

"I told him what I know. You have the rest of the story."

"Right," I sighed. "It's time to explain to him went down."

***

Dreading having to explain, I walked to Professor Cerise's office, where he stared intensely at a computer screen.

I knocked on the doorframe to catch his attention.

Professor Cerise heard my knock and he scrambled to get up, running over to me and grabbing my shoulders.

"Vali! You're finally back! What happened?!"

"Nice to see you too," I said wryly. "I'm fine, thanks for asking."

Professor Cerise regained his composure and released his grip, his eyes filled with anticipation. "Yes, I'm sorry, I just got so excited. It's good to see that you're fine."

"Let's just get this over with, then," I said, subconsciously rubbing the back of my hand.

"Right," Professor Cerise's face became serious. "What happened? Trinity told me what she knew, but now you have to complete the story."

Then I proceeded to tell him everything that happened to me in the past ten chapters, of how I caught Gengar and Golurk, of how I caught Marshadow, and of my "theories."

"Interesting," Professor Cerise ruffled his lab coat idly, "very interesting. A Marshadow in Sinnoh? And you caught it? Wow! What a remarkable discovery!"

"So yeah, I caught a Mythical, no big deal."

"You have to let me see it!"

"No, I can't."

"Why not?" Trinity asked. Technically, she wasn't supposed to know this; she hadn't told Professor Cerise what's really going on between Marshadow and I. She was merely acting.

"Because it's roaming. It's my Pokemon, but it stayed in Hearthome Forest to protect all the Ghost-types there," I explained.

"Ah," Professor Cerise said, a little bit disappointed. "Well, that's understandable. But could you at least show me the Pokemon you two caught? I want to study them up close."