Chapter 24: Misty Waters

Amina's POV

No, please no. Don't do this to me. Why did it have to be this way?

I mentally pleaded as I stood at the door to my father's office, where I heard the clattering of shattered glass, signifying his intense rage. It was obvious; he was pissed at me for failing.

My breath ran ragged and my heart throbbed with enough force to shake my body. Fear clutched me as I thought about how the leader of Team Rocket would react.

I failed, and now I would pay the price.

The first time I failed his rage nearly killed me.

But it was deserved. I wanted to be his weapon—to be his elite. And failure was not an option.

At least, that was what he told me. And I believed it.

I forced my breath to calm, silently cursing at the two trainers who defeated me with pre-evolved Pokemon. How could they be so powerful? Absol and I have almost never lost a battle, and those were against Pokemon who's power dwarfed ours. So how could have they beaten us? It made no sense. Was is their strategy? Or was it something else?

Realizing that contemplation wouldn't help me, I clenched my teeth and balled my fist. A nudge shook out of my reverie. I looked at Absol and allowed my countenance to relax.

"Ab?" he asked inquisitively.

"I'm fine," I said, "just nervous; don't worry about me."

"Sol," he nodded, his eyes twitching, a telltale sign that he too was nervous.

I wet my lips and took a deep breath, finally raising my hand to knock.

The echoing of the knock brought forth a heightened sense of anxiety into me. For a second, I heard voices speaking from behind the door, but they stopped immediately after my knock.

"Will you get that?" my father said to the person he was speaking with. I pictured his eyes glaring in anger.

I gulped.

Two very long, very anxious seconds passed and the door opened, revealing one of my least favorite people.

She was an adult woman with purple hair styled into a weird long bowl cut. Her eyes were a piercing shade of red, and she wore scarlet glasses that matched her eyes. The woman was clad in a crimson secretary outfit that seemed to hug every single curve of her body. She wore a smug smile that never failed to piss me off.

The woman was Matori, my father's secretary and leader of the Matori Matrix, a branch of Team Rocket filled with my father's elites. These elites went on grueling missions to capture powerful Pokemon known as Legendaries and Mythicals.

Except, they failed all their missions.

And now I was in trouble for the same reason. Since I was Giovanni's daughter, he would be extra strict with the punishment.

Shit, I was so fucked.

Matori smirked at me. "Couldn't handle a bunch of brats who haven't been trainers for very long? How far the boss's daughter has fallen."