Chapter 49: Shadow Garden

After the whole ordeal in Grampa Canyon, Brock, Trinity, and I did not utter a single word until we were completely safe. Once we saw the dregs of sunlight on our skin, we finally dared to exhale with relief.

"It's one life-or-death battle to another," Trinity muttered. "Are we really that unlucky?"

"Hey, cheer up," I said, "at least we get stronger. Besides, we captured some pretty powerful Pokemon, too."

Trinity snorted. "Well, yeah. Just wish we didn't have to risk our lives all the time."

I shrugged. "Most things that are worth it require some sacrifice."

Trinity raised one eyebrow. "That was actually kind of wise."

"Damn, it was?"

Trinity smirked. "Professor Cerise better give us some good money for this."

"So we can make horrible financial decisions?" I asked with a small smile.

"Yep!"

Brock shook his head with a humorous smile. "Anyway, can we talk about what an Arceus Plate was doing there?"

"I'm surprised you know about it," I said.

I wasn't going to tell him everything. He knew about the Arceus Plates, so I had no reason to try to hide it.

Trinity and I locked eyes for a moment, silent words being spoken.

"I will tell you everything later," I promised her.

Trinity's gaze softened, and she averted her eyes.

I decided I would tell her about Giratina and the mission it gave me. If there was anyone I could trust, it was Trinity. I knew she trusted me enough to tell me about her problems, so I just had to be patient until then.

We had a conversation pending, and the two of us were going to be completely honest.

Trust was difficult, especially for us. Trinity's concern for me overpowered her cautiousness, which is why she wanted me to talk about my past with her. I was surprised at how well she knew me, that I would hold everything in until I was at the breaking point.

To be honest, it was cathartic to talk to her about my trauma. After so many years of being alone, it felt good to know that someone other than my dad cares.

I knew that Trinity knew she could confide with me with whatever. She was like a sister to me, after all.

"I heard about the Arceus Plates in a book I read that Professor Cerise had lying around," I lied. "They seemed interesting to me at first. It made me want to collect them."

Brock nodded. "They're powerful, that's for sure. Was another reason Cerise sent you to Grampa Canyon?

"No, I didn't even know it was there." That wasn't a lie.

"Why did it look like you were in pain when you grabbed the Plate?"

I already had a lie to answer that. "I don't know. Maybe humans aren't able to use them? Or maybe they reject certain people."

"Huh, that's strange," Brock muttered. "How did Damos and Ash manage to hold the Jewel of Life?"

My blood went cold. "The Jewel of Life?"

Brock nodded seriously. "This might take a bit to explain."

"We still have some time until we make it to the Pokemon center," Trinity pointed out.

Brock began to tell us the story of how him, Ash, and Dawn all met some weird girl who could speak to the hearts of Pokemon and summoned the fucking God of Time Dialga just to save Pikachu and Piplup from a whirlpool. Then Dialga fought the fucking God of Space Palkia in the middle of Alamos town, bringing Giratina—I fought to keep my face blank at this part—into the conflict.