Chapter 36: What Once Was

The shadow-like Pokemon stared at me, it's gaze inscrutable. It seemed to be looking into our souls, analyzing our wills, our intents, our goals, and who we were. It was as if a hand was touching my brain, searching through its deepest secrets.

"What is that?" I wondered, bewildered. "I've never seen a Pokemon like that."

"Me neither," Dawn admitted. "What is it?"

"Let me see," I said. "Rotom, scan it."

Rotom flew out, looking at me with a coruscating look. "What?! I was in the middle of watching Jujutsu Kaisen—holy shit is that a Legendary?" Rotom exclaimed, pointing its camera at the Pokemon.

"Marshadow, the Gloomdweller Pokemon, a Fighting- and Ghost-type. It sinks into the shadows of people and Pokémon, where it can understand their feelings and copy their capabilities. Rarely do people ever see it, so it's regarded as something from myth and legends. It's a fucking Mythical!"

"I can't believe some loser like you is able to find a fucking Mythical Pokemon," Rotom said sardonically. It's eyes then widened. "Wait, doesn't that mean we're completely screwed?"

"No we're not," I rolled my eyes and grabbed Rotom.

It writhed around. "Let me go! This is infringing on my rights!"

"Shut the fuck up," I stuffed it in my pocket and put it on vibration.

I noticed Dawn looking at me with nervous sweat trickling down her.

"What?"

"Nothing. I just wanted to remind you what we're fighting."

I looked at Marshadow. "I don't think I'd be able to forget that we're fighting a goddamn Mythical Pokemon."

Marshadow suddenly disappeared. Dawn and I looked around nervously. Then Marshadow appeared in front of us, startling us. It looked at us coldly, training its eyes on Dawn. It made a gesture at her.

"What? What does that even mean?" Dawn asked.

Marshadow glared at her and pointed to the spectators.

"I think... I think it doesn't want to battle you, only me," I said warily. Damn it, I couldn't get help from Dawn. I was sure that Mega Lopunny of hers was going to be crucial for this fight. Eevee alongside her would be the nail in the coffin, due to her being able to mimic Play Rough.

"I'm not going to watch," Dawn said stubbornly. "I want you to give back Piplup, and I will fight you for him."

Marshadow shook its head impatiently and clapped its hands. Two Golurk walked up to Dawn and, before she could get to her Poke Balls, grabbed her, making sure to pin down her arms.

"Fine!" Dawn shouted angrily. "Vali! You better win! Don't let it beat you!"

"Don't worry!" I assured, feeling my anger rise. "The shadows won't win against me."

I turned to Marshadow, who was looking at me curiously. Its cold countenance remained, but I felt its wonder.

"You sense it, don't you?" I queried. "You feel the connection we have."

Marshadow nodded, not keeping its eyes on me.

I flashed a grin, feeling the shadows cover me. "Then let's get to it." I grabbed Kirlia and Hatenna's Poke Ball, throwing them into the air.

The two landed in front of me, boring their eyes into Marshadow. Eevee jumped off my shoulder and stood alongside them.

Marshadow got into a fighting stance. A strange golden light shown around it, but it wasn't the light Gengar was empowered with. It was different. Its upper body turned green, and I could tell it was ready to battle.