Chapter 14: Pewter City, At Last

We woke up from the early morning light that covered us in a curtain of phosphorescent gold, the sky bright like our dreams, the clouds like cotton.

Eevee, Pikachu, and both Ralts were already up. We quickly disassembled camp and then merrily continued our trek through Viridian Forest.

It intrigued me how no one talked about the distance that Viridian Forest spanned. And certainly, nobody talked about the natural labyrinth-like structure that the forest had. Imposing trees sometimes blocked our way with their hulking mass, which obligated us to look for another way around.

We would have gotten lost a hundred times if it wasn't for the convenient map app that our Rotom phone had installed. If there was a feature that allowed me to talk to Rotom, I'd find it just to thank it for being such a homie.

"I swear, the more we walk, the more I'm convinced that we aren't making any progress. We walk pass a crap ton of trees, and lo and behold, there are more trees.

Trinity snorted, "You just described a forest," she said sardonically.

I sighed in defeat. I liked Trinity better when I was having a heart-to-heart conversation with her. But I knew that she just wanted to engage in pointless banter to pass the time.

The walk was, to put simply, boring, but also calming. Wild pokemon ran around their territories, occasionally casting curious looks at us, before disappearing into the trees' expansive wake. It was oddly peaceful. Fortunately, that also meant that there would be no Beedrills attacking us anytime soon, so that was fine by us.

Trinity and I occasionally exchanged nonsensical words that eventually hung in the air as we continued to walk. The time went fast, while our pace remained brisk.

We stopped for lunch, before quickly continuing on our way.

It wasn't until the sun started to set that we saw tendrils of light streaming between the trees, a telltale sign that we were getting close to the end. One look at our maps confirmed such, which had us exchange grins. We ran toward the light, our excitement evident.

"Finally! Pewter City!" Trinity shouted with glee.

"We're finally here!" I agreed. We were so glad to finally be out of that damn forest.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu exclaimed from atop of Trinity's shoulder.

"Eevee, Vee!" Eevee excitedly said.

When we finally emerged from the sea of trees, we took a deep breath and sighed with relief.

Pewter City laid ahead of us, a small path leading to it. All I could make out from the distance that I was at were the clusters of rocks that were strewed around it and inside of the city. More forest surrounded it, which was domed by enormous mountain ranges. I'd noticed as we passed through Viridian Forest that the elevation rose. I was pretty sure that we were standing atop a mountain.

The second half of Route 2 laid between Viridian Forest and Pewter City. We began to walk through it, quickening our pace until we were nearly running. There were more trees around us, but they weren't as numerous as Viridian Forest was. It felt nice, really.

While we walked, I had a funny thought. I looked at the sky, wondering if there would be a rainbow bird pokemon or some type of phoenix. I've heard way too many tales of new Pokemon Trainers seeing some sort of rainbow bird that dropped a rainbow feather. I wonder if it could happen to me.