Chapter 44: Remembrance Part 2

My memories faded away as quickly as they started, leaving a wave of flames in their wake. I shook with rage, glaring at Vina and Mason with such hatred they took a step backwards.

"What the fuck are you two doing here?" I demanded, my eyes darkening like a storm.

Vina bit her lip nervously but did not lose her resolve. "We're... doing business on our dad's behalf."

If I wasn't so mad, I would have noticed how beautiful she's become—the pinnacle of beauty. Her eyes were like cobalt, gleaming with recognition, a shadow of melancholy slowly overtaking them. Her steel-blue hair was braided delicately, complimenting her slightly tanned skin. She was dressed in a semi-formal white blouse and a black skirt. Mawile-shaped earrings were pinned to her ears, and a silver necklace with a Mega Keystone hung around her neck.

But her charm had no effect on me; I was too angry to care.

"It's been a while, Vali," Mason said solemnly.

"I wish it was longer," I glowered at them.

Mason was as handsome as ever, with messy steel-blue hair that somehow looked good on him. His eyes were a bit greener than Vina's, a sort of teal color. Like his sister, he wore semi-formal clothes; gray dress shirt, a black unbuttoned formal jacket, a messy tie, and black slacks.

I knew they wanted to take over Steven's company like he did for their grandfather, but I never expected them to start this early.

"Listen, we don't want to bring up the past," Mason said.

"Because it was your fault?" I crossed my arms.

Vina looked hurt. "We... we know we asked you to stop being soft... but we didn't want it to end up like that."

"And then you betrayed me," I finished for her.

"You monster," Vina had said to me. Those words kept haunting me everyday until I forced myself to forget what had happened that day.

"It's your fault," I said darkly. "It's your fault I can't trust girls."

I fell in love with her back then, but when she betrayed me... I couldn't love again. I rejected Dawn's advances because it reminded me of Vina...

I was scared of what would happen. I was scared of being betrayed. I was scared of hurting them.

"Don't blame her for that," Mason said, a little more vehement, but his eyes were pleading. "Listen Vali, we're sorry—"

I snapped. "Sorry? Sorry for fucking making me this way? For betraying me when you were all I had left? I fought for you! I did it all for the two of you! And now I'm left this way because of you!"

I shook with hysterical anger, my emotions too powerful to handle. I was so emotionally volatile it scared me.

Shadows protectively wrapped around me, cracks spreading in my periphery. I saw warped, distorted figures, all of which had the same bang covering their left eye. They seemed to be looking at me, as if watching... Had they felt this way? Had their emotions been too strong for them to handle?

They were the previous Chosen Ones of Giratina, right? A legacy of villains, an interconnected web of some of the vilest people in existence.

And I was a part of it.

Was I expected to be one of the bad guys? Arceus must not trust me because of that.

I gritted my teeth and allowed my stormy eyes to bore into Vina and Mason.

"I wish I never met you," I said darkly. "We should have never known each other."

With that, I turned around and walked away without another word. The last thing I heard were Vina's sobs.