Everybody has a story

The voices were swimming round and round in my head as I replayed that night at the stadium. I shouldn't have even been there, it was an illegal club. Images flashed behind my eyes and the voices got louder and louder as my brain kept hitting replay. I would get to the end of the flashback and be glad it was over only for my brain to start it again. I was so concentrated on the flashback I didn't realise Michael coming back in until he shouted my name. "Kenzie!" I looked into his eyes.

"What did he say to you?" I just shook my head not wanting to answer him. "Kenzie what did he say?"

"It doesn't matter." I shrugged and now Luke's voice was also swimming round and round in my head, taunting me, mocking me. I'm going crazy. "Kenzie!" Michael shouted my name again and I'm guessing I wasn't concentrating.

"Sorry Mikey I'm just tired, I haven't been sleeping properly." It wasn't the whole truth but it wasn't exactly a lie either.

"That might be the case but I need to know what he said to you." He sighed pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Why?" I was starting to get quite defensive. One of my many emotional barricades.

"Because you're my little sister and he hurt you."

"You are not falling out with your friend just because I fell out with him. I won't let you."

"Then tell me what he said." He turned it back on me again and I groaned. I don't want to fight with him as well, I don't have the strength or energy left in me to fight with him. "Kenzie I'm your brother, I need to know when somebody's hurt you."

"Why? So you can get in a fight with him. Haven't I hurt enough people?"

"Is that what he said to you?" He just wouldn't drop the subject and the more he went on about it the more my brain was screaming at me. Stress, lack of sleep, anger and flashbacks that is not a good combination.

"He called me a killer alright." I snapped. "He didn't say anything that wasn't true." My head was spinning, the room was spinning and everything thing else was fucking spinning. I need sleep, or at least something to keep my brain active until I can get some sleep.

"He what?" Michael shouted, his eyes clouding with anger. "I swear to god." I saw him go to get up but I reacted quicker than he could move, pushing him back down to the couch. He tried again and I just pushed him straight back down.

"Mikey calm down. He was only telling the truth." My voice was low and quiet. "He was worried about me boxing and we got into an argument. The truth always comes out in an argument." I defended, still struggling to calm myself down but the voices just kept getting louder and louder.

"You're still defending him." He groaned.

"Because I love him." I shouted. "I hate the fact that I love him because it's changing me. I was always just fine by myself, dragging myself through life and slowly picking up the pieces when I fell down. I was so close and he's just tore it all down again and for some reason I don't mind. It should bother me and it doesn't. I told him what I was scared of, I told him nearly everything about my past, I let him in and I don't like it. I fucking hate it." I said getting louder and louder visibly shaking with anger by the time I was finished.

"It's okay to tell people when you're scared, it's okay to share your past and it's okay to let people in. I don't see the problem." He sighed and I groaned running a hand through my hair gently pulling at the roots in frustration.

"I knew you wouldn't, nobody ever does. Keeping myself to myself was how I kept myself afloat in life. Trust me it wasn't easy to build my defences but I did what I had to do and now I'm letting people knock them down left right and centre. I can't deal with it, this is why I'm better off alone." I started to walk away, I didn't care where I ended up just as long as it wasn't here. I didn't want to be arguing with Michael right now, in fact I didn't want to be here right now. A hand wrapped around my wrist gently pulling me away from the door.