Not Worth It

Warning! Themes of depression and suicidal thoughts. Don't read if this will make you upset or uncomfortable in any way.

I took a deep breath and pushed my glasses up my face. I was just about to start the car when Luke opened the door and slid into the passenger seat next to me. "Where're you heading?" He asked looking at my shaking hand trying to put the keys in the ignition.

"I just need to pick something up of a friend. I'll be back shortly." I reassured even though I was lying through my teeth.

"I don't think it's a good idea for you to be alone right now Kenzie." He sighed reaching over and starting the car for me. "You've just buried Blake and your son I don't want you to do anything stupid." I had to weigh up my options. If I allowed him to come with me he might ruin my plan but if I try and argue it might just make him more suspicious.

"Fine but you stay in the car." I warned and he breathed a sigh of relief while nodding his head at me.

"Okay." I pulled out of my parking space and onto the road which was extremely empty considering it was only ten o'clock at night. I noticed a black Chevy tailing us and got suspicious. "Is your seat belt fastened?" I asked trying to lose whoever was following me. My guess is that it's a journalist. I heard the click of his belt never taking my gaze away from the reflection in my wing mirror. "Hold on," I smirked.

"But Kenzie you're belt isn't on." I just shrugged and pressed my foot down heavy on the acceleration taking my speed right up in a matter of seconds. The car behind me did the same thing and I groaned internally. There was no way I could lose this thing with Luke's extra weight in my car. "Luke do you trust me?' I wish I had of left him alone.

"What kind of question is that. Of course I do."

"I'm about to do something really dangerous Luke, I'm sorry." I had never done this with someone else in the car because if it goes wrong it's deadly. "Ever heard of power shifting?" He shook his head and I pressed even heavier on the acceleration. "It's where you change gears without letting up on the acceleration. You have to be lightening quick otherwise you'll likely end up dead."

"Do it." He gulped and I silently thanked him for his verbal permission, it made me feel a whole lot better.

Thankfully we lost the car and made it to our destination in one piece. "Wait here." I instructed before getting out of the car, slamming the door behind me and walking over to the person I was meeting. "Do you have it?" I deadpanned wanting this over with as soon as possible,

"Do you have the money?" I handed him the five hundred pound in cash that he requested and in return he tossed me a black backpack. "Good luck Mac." He smiled giving me a quick hug before walking away.

"Thanks." I shouted after him before going and getting back in the car.

"What's in the bag." Luke asked, wearily eyeing the back I was griping tightly.

"Nothing for you to worry about." I dismissed throwing the bag into the back out of his reach. Just incase he was tempted to look. The drive back was relatively peaceful until I came to a group of people all crowded around the bass of a block of flats. I stopped the car shaking Luke from whatever daydream or thought he was in.

"What do you think's going on?" Luke asked and I shook my head.

"I'm guessing it's got something to do with her." I said pointing to a woman standing on the ledge of a block of flats. Without saying another word I grabbed my bag and got out of the car leaving Luke scrambling behind me. I marched straight over to the police I could see. "What the hell are you doing down here and not up there?" I fumed trying not to get in trouble because that was the last thing I needed right now.