Can happy ever after exist?

"Do you really have to go?" I whined as Blake gave me another small peck on the lips.

"You know I have to babe." I was currently stood on my tip toes with my arms draped securely around his neck and his resting comfortably on my waist. If it was my choice I'd hold him as close to me as possible and never let go but unfortunately it's not my choice. "This is my job."

"Don't remind me." Finally we stepped out of the car and walked hand in hand into the airport. We hadn't even fully made it inside of the building when the first photographers were taking pictures hoping to get the perfect snapshot for their stupid stories. "I swear the next pap I see will get a nice right hook to the jaw." I gritted out and Blake laughed at me, taking his hand from my grip and replacing it at the small of my back.

"Don't worry baby." I smiled at the small gesture trying to ignore the paparazzi. Why couldn't they go bother somebody else who is actually doing something worthy of being photographed? "I can't believe it's been seven months already." Neither could I. Blake had been in active service for four months instead of his original three planned and then had already completed his three month leave meaning he was now back on active service. This time was worse than last though. He was being stationed in Afghanistan where there had been a number of recent bombings on American military personnel. "Stop thinking so hard." He groaned when we reached the troop departure area.

"I can't help it." I took a seat on the floor with my back resting against the wall and looked over the troops who were fast asleep in their sleeping bags waiting for departure. It shocked me how many of them were alone and didn't have anybody to say goodbye to them. I suppose with a one in the morning flight it would be hard for people with children or maybes saying goodbye is just too difficult for them to do. "Promise me you'll stay safe for me?"

"I promise baby." I rested my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes trying to clear my brain of all the poisonous and horrid thoughts currently swimming around in there. I placed my hand into the pocket of my sweats and fiddled with its contents waiting until the time was right. "I'm scared." I admitted with a weak voice feeling his grip on me tighten. I don't think he had ever heard me admit out loud that I was scared and now I think I've worried him.

"I know." He breathed out. "I knew as soon as you were screaming out in your sleep last night. I knew when we got in the car and your breathing was shaky. I knew when you gripped Jordan's dog tags in your hand so tight your knuckles turned white. You don't have to be worried to admit you're scared." I turned and kissed him with as much force as I could not caring one bit about the other people or the camera flashes or even the fact I was running out of breath.

"I love you." I mumbled against his lips pressing them together once again. "So fucking much." Evetnually I pulled away for breath and felt my heart break as the speaker sounded.

'All military personnel prepare to board your flight. Fifteen minutes to wheels up. All military personnel prepare to board your flight. Fifteen minutes to wheels up.'

I stood to my feet along with Blake. Now was my opportunity. I took a deep breath to calm the nerves running wild through my body and the butterflies in my stomach. I had five minutes. No time to mess this up. "Blake." I whispered and he turned around again to face me with a confused look on his face.

I dropped to one knee and reached for the box in my pocket.

The smile on his face stretched from one ear to the other as I opened the box to reveal a ring.

"Blake Jackson McKenna. You've been my best friend through thick and thin, you've picked me up when I've fallen flat on my face and carried me when I didn't have the strength to face life anymore. You were the anchor that kept me grounded in my roughest of seas and the wind in my sails that kept me going. I know we're both young and stupid and god knows life with me is never going to be easy but we know we'll make it through this. I love you and I could never imagine my life without my best friend and lover right by my side. I'm not saying it'll be perfect and I'm definitely not saying that we won't struggle to keep our cool with each other sometimes but I am never giving up. Not on you and not on us. Will you please do me the honour of marrying me." His eyes were glassy with tears as he nodded and breathed out a quiet "yes" lifting me up to my feet to hug me tightly.