Nightmares

Luke's point of view:

I went into bed last night but refused to fall asleep until I heard quiet snores leaving McKenzie's mouth. She didn't fall asleep until just before three in the morning so I was going to be tired when I woke up and school was going to be absolute hell for me. However, when I did wake up, I was not actually woken by my alarm like I should have been. I was woken by McKenzie so I leapt out of my bed and walked over to her bed wrapping my arm around her shoulder trying to wake her. Her body was convulsing in her sleep as she cried out over and over again. It was breaking my heart. "Kenzie." I said. "McKenzie wake up. It's just a dream." She must have heard me because she sat bolt upright and gripped my arm tightly, her fingers digging into the skin. "Luke." She whispered out as she was trying to adjust back to reality.

I sat with her rubbing circles into her bare arms and whispering comforting words into her ear, kissing her forehead once or twice as well, while she calmed herself down. Her grip on me eventually slackened and her breathing had regulated itself again so I went to get up to go back to my own bed but she wan't having any of it. She gripped my arm tighter again, pulling me closer towards her until I pretty much fell onto the bed and ended up hovering above her body. "Don't leave. Please don't leave." She begged and my heart ripped itself into a million pieces. I rolled of the top of her and lifted the blanket, climbing into the bed next to her and wrapping my arm around her holding her close. She rested her head on my chest and I closed my eyes feeling better knowing she was safe in my arms.

McKenzie's point of view:

My feet pounded on the forest floor as I ran as fast as I could, my heart hammering against my chest and the blood pumping around my body feeling like acid. I pressed my back up against a near by tree trying to get my bearings. I should have never left the campfire. I should have stayed with Josh and the others where I was safe but stupid me wanted to get some more marshmallows out of the car. I don't even like marshmallows! "Josh!" I screamed. "Josh! Help!" I recognized the boy that had been chasing me. He had been sat opposite me at the campfire and was in a few of my classes at school. I knew him for other reasons as well, reasons I don't even want to go into, reasons I should not let cross my mind otherwise I'm going to be in a worse place than I am now. He would have a nice bruise around his eye tomorrow where I'd hit him. He deserved it, he deserved worse for what he tried to do to me. I didn't know where he was or where I was for that matter. He could still be chasing me and there's fuck all I can do about it because I can't find the others. "Josh!"

"Kenzie." I heard somebody saying my name but it wasn't coming from a particular place. It was coming from everywhere at once. "McKenzie wake up. It's just a dream." The voice I could hear wasn't Josh's like it should be. That was Luke's voice. This isn't real. It's just a memory, a bad dream I'm having. I'm going to wake up and be safe in my own bed. My eyes shot open and I sat up gripping the first thing that I could. "Hey don't worry it's just a dream." Luke said soothingly rubbing my bare shoulder trying to calm me down. "You're safe." I calmed myself down and he went to stand up to go back to bed but I pulled him back towards me. I pulled him a little too harsh and he ended up hovering above me, our bodies practically moulded together and his warm breath on my cheek. "Don't leave. Please don't leave." My voice sounded weak and pathetic as I begged for him to stay. Right now that is the least of my problems.

He climbed under the blanket with me pulling me impossibly close to his body. I took a quick glance at the clock on the wall which read quarter to four before I snuggled into Luke's chest trying to block out the memories that were flooding my brain. After a while soft mumbles were leaving his lips as I listened to the rhythmic pace of his breathing. I slid out of bed making sure not to wake him as I pulled on some sweats and my t-shirt from Josh's party the other night. I decided to go for a drive to calm my nerves so I grabbed my cars keys and left my dorm room.