Goalpost Nutter

I woke to the sunlight streaming through the open bedroom curtains. I pulled myself out of bed feeling a lot less hung-over than I was expecting to. The same can't be said for the others. I tried to wake the boys and it took a great deal of effort to get them up. I told them that they didn't have to come if they didn't want to but they were insistent on dragging themselves out of bed to come and watch so I wasn't going to argue. I gave them all some painkillers and a bottle of water to help with the hangovers before eating breakfast and getting ready. I pulled on some shoes and packed my boots into my bag before going for warm-up. I walked onto the pitch and scanned the away crowd for Josh. I soon found him in the middle of the stands scanning the pitch presumably for me. He soon spotted me and waved before scanning the home stands for my roommates. After waving to them he was satisfied and sat down.

The referee came onto the pitch and we all got into our positions. He blew the wistle and everything turned to chaos. Organised chaos but chaos non the less. Both of our teams we're evenly matched so it was a constant battle for possession of the ball. Neither defence was broke until a free kick was awarded to my team. It was almost a goal, both sets of supporters were on their feet waiting to see the outcome but the goalkeeper managed to hit it with her fingertips knocking it over the crossbar. "Good work Jas." I shouted trying to encourage my team to keep trying. "We can do this." I saw number eight from the other team coming straight towards me so I got to work. I slide tackled her knocking the ball to the nearest defender. My fellow defender was tackled and lost possession of the ball causing me to curse quietly under my breath. It was kicked high ready for another player to head it into the goal. I had just enough time to react running and jumping to knock it out. It was too close to the goalpost so I had to make a decision. Go into the goalpost or risk them scoring. Well looks like I'm getting another bruise to add to my collection.

I jumped angling my body so that it would be my shoulder that hit the post. I managed to head the ball out and away fom the post but I had angled my body wrong. The player from the other team also tried to head the ball. As she jumped her elbow went into my back knocking the top of my body forwards leaving me no time to adjust my position. The left side of my face hit the goalpost at full force knocking me to the floor. I could feel blood running down my face as my vision began blurring. I saw Abbie running over to me and heard the referee blow the whistle before everything went blank. I drifted in and out for about thirty seconds before my body gave up. My world went dark and my brain became unable to function.

Luke's point of view:

Kenzie was shouting something at another player and let herself get distracted. A player from the other team managed to slip past her without her realizing. When she finally did notice though she reacted quickly sliding in and kicking the ball away. Just before it reached her intended player it was intercepted by another player from the opposing team. She scrambled to her feet as the ball was kicked high through the air. "That's too close to the goal post." Calum said noticing how close she was.

"She's angled her body." Mikey said. "If she hits it it should be her shoulder that hits first." He said should he doesn't sound too sure about it. Just as he finished talking her feet left the floor. I unintentionally held my breath waiting for the moment her feet were safely back on the floor. She hit the ball out of the way as another players elbows hit into her back. The force sent the top half of her body leaning forward into the goal post. The left side of her face hit the goal post and she was knocked to the floor. Blood was trickling down her face and supporters on both teams stood up to see what was happening. I began runnning down to the pitch without thinking as the whistle was blew and the medics came running on to the pitch. I pushed past various teachers who were trying to hold me back and reached her at the same time as Josh did. I flung myself to my knees beside her as she was lifted onto a stretcher by two medics while another phoned for an ambulance. A blood red blanket was wrapped around her body to keep her warm in the cold conditions now that she had stopped running round contrasting her pale skin and making her look like a china doll.