Any Final Words?

I stood silently and watched him cock the gun trying to think of something to do. I needed to try and save the boys at all costs. I needed to try and stall until I managed to think our way out of this situation. I know I can do it. I just need to think it through. "Tell me why." I asked quietly. "Tell me why. Make me understand why you have to do this."

"Because I don't want to die!" He shouted causing Luke to flinch and Michael to squeeze my hand even tighter. Luke probably did as well but I can no longer feel the hand that he is holding. They're scared for their lives. "Our platoon has only ever lost two marines and do you know what they had in common?" Of course I knew what they had in common.

"Me." I whispered.

"You were the only thing Blake and Jordan had in common. They both loved you. Think of all of the other people who loved you that have died. Your parents, your friends. I don't want to be next on the list McKenzie."

"That doesn't mean you're going to die Jason." I tried to reason but he shook his head at me.

"No because I'm not leaving it down to chance." I didn't have any sort of plan yet. I still need more time.

"Let the boys go then and just kill me." I would gladly give up my life if it meant that the boys walked away from this unharmed. They would need serious counselling but at least they would be alive and physically untouched. "If you let them go I will kill myself so that you face no consequences. Please just let them go." I begged. I would get down on my knees if I had to. I would do anything to save them.

"I would be doing them a favour Kenzie. I have seen men killed in battle and it never leaves your brain. It's better for them this way." He walked along the line of us all stood holding hands before moving back to stand in front of Luke taking the gun and pressing it into his forehead. "Any final words Blondie?" Nope this can't happen. I need more time.

"Fight me." I challenged causing him to snap his head away from Luke and lower the gun so that he could look directly in my eye as though trying to intimidate me. "If I win then the boys walk free and only I die. If you win then I personally shoot them." I would never shoot them but even if I lost that put me in control of the gun.

"I ain't fighting no southpaw." He spat at me.

"What's a southpaw." Calum asked meekly.

"A left handed boxer." Jason spat at him and I saw him flinch on the corner of my eye. "I ain't fighting no southpaw."

"I ain't a southpaw." I lied. "I'm right handed." True I was right handed but I was a left handed boxer. Not many people like to fight southpaws because it give them the strategic advantage. It was how I had never lost a fight. I had never fought a southpaw. He walked over and punched me in the face again.

"Don't lie to me you stupid bitch. I used to train with you." Ashton, who was on the end of the line, fell to the ground and I disentangled myself from the line to go over and check to make sure he was alright. Well, as alright as can be expected in this situation. He had fainted from the sheer amount of fright coursing through his veins. I stood up and walked towards Jason not even caring that he had a loaded gun in his hand anymore. He had pissed me off way too much for me to care.

"Look what you've done you bastard." I spat. "What the fuck happened to you Jason? What made you so twisted in the head?" I was rewarded with a swift knee in the ribs but I didn't care. I just kept spitting my words out at him. "There was a time when you were scared to even lift a gun to the enemy. I remember you coming home and crying because you had killed a seventeen year old child. Guess what? He was a casualty of war. These are innocent people." It was tragic that a young person had died and I felt horrible for using that to my own advantage but what other choice did I have right now?