Part 7

The next morning I hadn't slept a wink; I tossed Loki's book in front of his door around 5am and followed my usual routine of going down to the training room.

"Friday, can I have the practice dummies, please?"

"Practice mannequins deployed, Little Marauder." I furrowed my eyes at the name, but brushed it off.

"Thank you, Friday."

"You're more mannerly with the AI than you are half the team." I heard someone mumble behind me, turning to see Tony. "What're you up so early for, Bandit?"

I cracked my neck. "Just warming up."

"You wake up this early... to warm up?" He asked, an eyebrow raised as he stood between me and the practice dummies. "Kid, this isn't Hydra. I love the initiative and drive, but nobody here is going to fault you for sleeping in occasionally."

I shook my head, walking around him and shooting a black mass at one of the dummies. "I'm comfortable in my routine, Tony."

"Really? Because you look exhausted." He stated, his voice laced with an emotion I couldn't quite make out. Concern?

I stared at him for a moment and he seemed to understand my confusion.

"Come get a cup of coffee with me."

Tony guided me up to the kitchen area before making and handing me a cup of coffee. I took a drink as I sat at the island, and he stood on the other side.

"So, tell me about yourself." He said, motioning at me with a waving hand.

"You know everything." I stared blankly, taking another gulp.

"We don't really know much." Tony said as he tilted his head. "Patchy only gave us your name and age. You've given us nothing other than you worked for Hydra at an awfully young age."

I bit my cheek for a moment, staring at Tony. "Project Dark Assassin." I stated flatly.

"What?" Tony's voice was soft, a slight whisper.

"That's what they called it. When they got me, I couldn't do much more than hide in shadows. But of course they..." I licked my top teeth and shifted in my seat. "Saw more potential for my superhuman abilities" I said, mocking a Russian accent as I rolled my eyes and let out a soft laugh. "That's, uh. That's been almost the entirety of my life thus far, so... Forgive me for not having much more to tell."

"You don't... Remember before all that?"

I shrugged. "Bits and pieces, I guess."

Tony cleared his throat and nodded, "I'm sorry, kid."

"Don't do that." I said, shaking my head. "I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me. You asked for more information, I followed your order. We can now continue like normal."

"I don't... It wasn't an order, okay? We have rules, but I don't just give you orders... I'm asking as a friend, not an authority figure." I had a feeling this lead tongue felt uncommon for Tony as he stumbled on his words. It seemed he wasn't used to being flustered.

"Well, as I said, we can continue as normal." I tried to ease. "As normal as we can be, at least." I added with a smirk.

Tony nodded a bit. "Well, um... Why don't we go out?" He now asked, an attempt to keep lightening the mood I was sure.

"Beg your pardon?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"In town." He responded with a laugh. "Come on, you need some new training clothes. I'm sick of seeing the same two outfits on you."