Chapter 2 - First Introductions

(Class 1-D; Ayanokouji, Kiyotaka POV)

The day started out like any other one.

When I walked into class, I was once again greeted by the ecstatic sound of my classmate's conversations. That was to be expected though, everyone in the room was still on the high about receiving 100,000 points this last week. They probably assumed this school was one of leisure and luxury, with all the amenities and allowances the school provided for its students. But what stood out like a sore thumb in our class was that these conversations didn't cease once our teacher had begun her lesson.

Most of my fellow classmates continued their conversations right through the lessons, discussing trivial things, like the latest trend on the internet, their weekends, and how they spend their private points or plans for the days ahead. Nothing they talked about ever had true sustenance, but at least they could talk to each other and have friends. Something which I was sorely lacking in.

While our class had little to no respect for the teacher during the lesson, our teacher never reprimanded anyone.

Whether they were dozing off, on their phone, or chatting with their neighbors. No one received any punishment for blatant disrespectful behavior towards the teacher. I don't know if that's just a representation of how laid-back this school system is. Or if there is some underlying work going on behind the scenes that no one seems to be concerned about. But as usual, I didn't voice my concerns over this issue, whatever happens to this class doesn't really matter to me, I just want a calm high-school experience.

As usual, I took my daily short walk to the back of the classroom.

My seat was placed in the back right of the classroom next to the windows lining the west wall of the room. Oftentimes, during lessons, I'd find myself gazing out the window at the greenery below. It was a wonderful sight, one that I could keep my eyes on forever...

"You're pathetic."

"Why am I pathetic, I haven't even done anything yet?"

I turned to face my right. A girl with beautiful long black hair and eyes that could kill sat next to me. Not once taking her attention away from the novel in front of her. Her name was Horikita Suzune. I didn't have too many interactions with Horikita, but she was one of the only people I did talk to in this entire school. I don't consider her a friend, just my desk neighbor, and even that is stretching it.

"I said you're pathetic because you are. You were probably thinking about how lonesome your life is without any friends."

"Speak for yourself, you are also a loner just like me."

"On the contrary, I chose to be alone, I find more comfort in myself than needing approval from my peers. You want to have friends, but sorely lacking in any communication skills, that's what makes you a true loner. And don't go grouping me with you, it's unpleasant."

"You say that now, but I'm the only one you talk to."

"A mere side-effect of being desk neighbors, nothing more."

"You wound my soul Horikita."

"I'm done talking to you now."

"Horikita."

"..."

"Horikita."

"..."