Chapter 29 - Ability

(Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, POV)

"Why is Fukumoto-kun the leader?" Inogashira voiced her concern about Fukumoto's sudden appointment as leader of Class D.

It was shocking news for the rest of the class yesterday when Hirata made it extremely clear that Fukumoto would be leading the class during the Sports Festival and possibly for the foreseeable future too.

"I mean, he's a good guy and all," Yukimura said. "But so far; I haven't heard of him contributing too much during special exams. Besides, switching the leadership core within our class now has to come with some consequences."

There were a few murmurs of agreement within the class.

Up until now, from what the class knows, Fukumoto has only helped lead a study group and was involved with Sudo's case at the beginning of the year. Other than that, he seems to be a plain student with a close friend circle.

Each student here has the right to question this move by Hirata since they do not truly know the capabilities of Fukumoto.

"Like, where even is the guy right now?" Ike addressed the class. "As leader, shouldn't he be a part of this?"

"Everyone," Hirata took the center stage behind the podium. "Fukumoto-kun is currently acquiring some tools to help measure our physical ability in preparation for this Sports Festival. As to why he is appointed leader, I believe he is a valuable asset to our class. He is well skilled in academics and athletics, and has true potential to become a strong leader within our class."

"But, isn't that only wishful thinking?" Shinohara questioned. "You believe he has potential. That doesn't mean he can lead the class."

More students began to agree with the sentiment. If they had the knowledge of Fukumoto's achievements that were hidden in the shadows, like Horikita and I knew, they wouldn't be as opposed to this situation right now.

"I believe Fukumoto-kun will be a great leader for our class," Matsushita stood up in support of one of her close friends. "Not only does he have strong connections within this class, but he has connections outside of this class, namely, Class B."

Fukumoto was an all rounder. Athletic, intelligent, with strong charisma alongside this. But since he hasn't made his achievements common knowledge, the class is still apprehensive about his new position.

"If I may," Horikita spoke up for the first time. "Fukumoto-kun, on the outside, may seem to be a typical high-school student. Annoying, and nothing special about him. But truly, since he joined this school, he has helped our class in multiple ways."

"How so?" Yukimura asked.

"Not only has he led a study group in preparation for the first exam. As mentioned before, he is a big reason for Class B and Class D having a cooperative relationship. He has garnered the attention of prominent individuals within our school. Not only that, he alone helped our class acquire more points during the island test."

More idle chatter was heard among the class now at this reveal. True, Horikita briefed the class about the major achievements of Fukumoto. But there were subtle accomplishments he had achieved that were astonishing in their own right.

The class was starting to become aware of Fukumoto's ability.

Coincidentally, the man of the hour slid the classroom doors open and stepped into the class.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Fukumoto Akio, POV)