Chapter 13 - A Break

A two-week vacation aboard a luxury cruise ship that sailed the vast oceans.

How could the school afford this? If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times.

All of Class D and the first-years were aboard this cruise. We had been informed about this vacation a while back by the school, but I still couldn't believe I was here.

Since we had passed through our midterms, the school was going into summer break and decided to 'reward' the first years with an expensive trip. In all honesty, I was suspicious of the true nature of this cruise, but for now, I'd try and have fun.

Late last month, Chabashira-sensei reminded us that we would be welcomed upon a cruise ship for summer vacation. That even all the amenities on the ship were free of cost. Which, for some people was a relief. They wouldn't have to worry about wasting private points to have a good time. Instead, they could enjoy themselves freely with their companions. When I last checked, my account had 86,000 points, so I wasn't in a financial pinch like most of my classmates.

The majority of our class had gathered at the bow of the ship. We all stood close to the railing taking in the scenery.

The warm summer air that reached our skin, and the scent of the saltwater below were relaxing. I hope it would stay like this.

Ayanokouji stood to my right, taking in the wonderful scenery. Over these past few weeks, we had gotten closer as friends, but there was still something holding us back from being called "best friends."

And to my left stood the class angel, Kushida. She too was basking in the light of the scenery before us. I'm sure Ike and Yamauchi were drooling over the sight.

"Um," Kushida took a quizzical look at all the people on the bow. "Where's Horikita-san?"

Ayanokouji and I both looked at the crowd around us, it seemed of the few people missing from our class were indeed Horikita.

"I don't know," I replied. "She's probably still in her room, I'd say."

Ayanokouji gave a slight nod in agreement.

"Oh... I really wish she could be here to see this."

"It is quite a sight," I said.

I don't ever remember a moment like this in my life.

Surrounded by people who I was close to, and the relaxing view of the scene before me. I wish my life could have always been like this.

Coming to this school was definitely the right move.

"Hey, guys, I'm going to take a look around the ship."

"Alright, have fun!" Kushida said with a bright smile.

Ayanokouji turned and gave me a slight wave, he was a man of few words, so I didn't expect a request to join or anything of the sort from him.

I hadn't had much time to explore the boat, because as soon as we arrived on the ship, we were put into our cabin groups. My group consisted of Ike, Yamauchi, and Akito. Akito seems to be a nice and quiet guy, but the other two, well, needless to say, I wasn't planning to spend much time in my room.

I wanted to see everything the cruise ship had to offer. We were given a pamphlet with all the amenities, but adventuring around yourself gave much more satisfaction.

I went up to the second deck to see everything they had. But, not too long into my adventure, someone called out to me.

"Hey! Fukumoto-kun."

I almost jumped at the sudden call for my name and I turned back to a new face.

I didn't know her name or the class she was from, she was slightly taller than most girls with reddish-brown hair tied back in a ponytail, accompanied by attractive purple eyes.