Chapter 54 - The Final Act Begins

"It's pretty late for a meeting at this hour, don't you think?" I directed my question to Kiyotaka.

After the antics from Ryuuen early today had calmed down, all the students went their separate ways.

I assumed someone would reach out to me to discuss the events that transpired, but the person I least expected to put in the extra effort reached out to me.

It wasn't too long after we all had split off that Kiyotaka had messaged me privately to meet with him in his dorm room later that day.

I presumed Kiyotaka was a messenger for Horikita to discuss everything that had happened today.

"Do you want any tea? Or something to drink?" Kiyotaka offered.

"A glass of water," I replied.

Kiyotaka wandered into his kitchen quickly, just out of my line of sight, but instantly returned with my water.

"So, what time will Horikita be here?" I asked.

"She wasn't invited," Kiyotaka replied as he grabbed a chair to sit across from me.

"Huh, I totally thought you were her messenger. I never expected you to set up a meeting in the first place: seems out of character for you."

"This meeting should be kept between us two. Not involving Horikita would be for the best."

I raised an eyebrow curiously in response.

Not involving Horikita? Up until this point, Ayanokouji had always used Horikita.

That being said, he would use her as a decoy to stay within the shadows whenever he made a move.

But he hasn't openly separated himself from Horikita like this to me. Or exude this level of confidence I'm feeling from him now.

"I have a feeling where this conversation might be going," I said.

"It's about Ryuuen and his recent antics, especially today."

"What about it?"

"I think it's fairly obvious to everyone now that Ryuuen is suspicious of a master puppeteer within Class D's shadow. Someone who isn't as open as yourself or Horikita."

"I can agree with that."

"Recently, he's implored methods of intimidation and stalking to near his goal. With a select few students grabbing more attention than others."

"From what I've heard, Hirata, Yukimura, Akito, and even yourself have been the essential targets of his plan."

"Unfortunately, that is true. Considering the events today, it looks like Ryuuen has also narrowed down his targets even more with his analysis of Kouenji."

"So what does that mean for you? There are other people on his list, but you still seem to be a major focus of his."

"You noticed that too?" Kiyotaka asked.

"Indeed, especially of how wary he is when he's around you. You don't carry a 'special' presence like Kouenji or a dominating one like Ryuuen himself. But he always seems to be on guard, or curious, when he's around you."

"So," I continued. "What are you going to do about this? It doesn't seem like you'll be able to hide for too long."

Kiyotaka leaned back in his chair for a moment as he silently stared toward the white roof of his dorm.

"That's what has me vexed currently. Considering what Ryuuen might do for his next uproar."

"What do you really mean by that? Do you not know how to prepare for his next move? Because if that's the reason, I'm sure Horikita and I could help you-."