Chapter 4 - An Unusual Outing

As the school days and classes progressed, I finally settled into this new school. 

I had started developing a routine that mostly consisted of waking up, school, heading to my dorm, workout, and studying. 

Every so often, I'd get an invite from someone to hang out at the mall on campus, but I always turned them down.  

I didn't feel quite comfortable interacting with a bunch of new people, maybe that's why I struggled to make friends because I couldn't put myself out there. 

Well, you could say I had friends like Hiyori and Ichinose. But, I never actively went out of my way to invite them anywhere. There was also Ayanokouji, but I considered him more as a loose friend that I only hung out with during school hours. Then there was Horikita, but she was more of a pain in the butt than anything else. Still, there was a feeling inside me that was pleading to have friends I could enjoy my time with. 

RING

And with that, sensei strode out of the classroom at the stroke of the bell. Losing all interest in the class she was teaching. 

Time to continue the regular routine, I guess. 

"Hello Fukumoto-kun, I was just wondering if you would like to accompany us to the mall?"

I looked up from my desk to see the man known as Hirata. He was quite a popular person on campus, constantly surrounded by the girls in our class, and to no one's surprise, he was already swarmed by the opposite sex while he asked me this. 

The girls behind him seemed to wait eagerly for my reply. I didn't really have any plans this evening but didn't particularly want to join this unusual group. Then again, I couldn't exactly deny this opportunity presented to me to make some real friends. 

"Sure. I didn't have any plans after school, so I'll join you all," I replied calmly. 

"Great! Shall we head off to Keyaki Mall then?" 

I picked up my bag and prepared to head out with Hirata and his group. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few moments before we took our first steps into the mall, Hirata and his posey all turned to face me. 

"I'm sorry, I forgot to introduce everyone to you, Fukumoto-kun."

Phew, it wasn't a coordinated kidnapping then. 

"This is Maya Sato, Chiaki Matsushita, Mei-Yu Wang, and Kei Karuizawa. And I'm pretty sure you also know me, but my name is Yosuke Hirata."   

All of the girls gave me small waves after Hirata had just introduced them. I returned their gesture with my own wave. 

"Well, now that we're at the mall, what should we do first?" Hirata addressed the entire group.

Immediately, the girl known as Karuizawa latched onto Hirata's arm, "Why don't we all go to Pallet! Oh, oh, we could also all go to a movie or karaoke!" 

Kaurizawa seemed to be the leader among the girls in this group. Because as soon as she listed these options were, all the girls joined her in agreement. 

"What about you Fukumoto-kun? Any particular place you want to go to?" Hirata asked me, just to get the collective opinion of everyone in the group. Hirata seemed to be a nice guy, one who wasn't concerned by his status and genuinely wanted peace for all. Definitely, a person who would consider every person and try his best to accommodate all.