Chapter 18 - Deserted Island Exam (5)

(Day 6, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, POV)

It was the last day of this special exam. This would be the last night we would spend on this deserted island. But, today could prove to be the hardest of them all. The weather had unexpectedly gotten far worse than any other day as it started to lightly rain.

"Everyone," Hirata addressed the entire class, "I am extremely proud of us all for this exam. It's nearing the end, and we managed to save multiple points because of searching for food and clean stream water. To finish it out strong, would a few of you mind searching for some food for our last meal?"

Our class had done rather well in saving points. Other than a few minor setbacks near the end of the exam, I was surprised at how well we were doing.

So, to show my appreciation, I volunteered to search for more food.

"Thank you, Ayanokouji-kun." Hirata replied with a warm smile. "Anyone else?"

A few hands were raised to support me.

Sakura, Kushida, Yamauchi, and even Horikita; all raised their hands to volunteer.

"Alright, thank you all, don't stray too much as the weather may get worse."

My rather unusual group turned to leave before someone stopped us.

"Do you mind if I join?"

Ibuki also showed her desire to help us find food, probably wanting to return the kindness our class showed her during this test.

"No, I don't thi-,"

"Of course, Ibuki-san!"

Horikita tried to oppose Ibuki from joining us, but the ever-bright and bubbly Kushida quickly accepted her invitation.

With the group finally set and ready, we left the camp in search of food.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we continued to search for any signs of food, I noticed Kushida alternating looking between me and Horikita.

"Hmm..."

"What is it, Kushida-chan?" Yamauchi was the first to pick up on Kushida's strange behavior.

"Do you notice that Ayanokouji-kun and Horikita-san are usually on good terms? I wonder why?" So that was the reason that brought about her behavior.

"Yeah, I do notice they get along quite well. Why is that?"

The approaching topic was not one either, Horikita or I wanted to discuss.

"We don't get along that well," I said.

"Oh, don't give me that," Kushida responded, "other than maybe Fukumoto-kun, you definitely talk to her the most."

Kushida continued to watch us both. "Oh! I know what it is!"

"What?" Yamauchi seemed the most interested in this topic.

"Look at them closely, Yamauchi-kun."

Yamauchi stepped close to me, placing his face only a few centimeters away from mine as he analyzed me closely. Then he switched to Horikita, which was the wrong move.

Horikita brought a swift and vicious slap to Yamauchi's left cheek. "Get out of my way."

"OWWW!" Yamauchi cried in agony from his injury.

"Sorry, Yamauchi-kun," Kushida snickered lightly behind him, "it's because neither Ayanokouji-kun nor Horikita-san smile."

"That's hardly a reason why you think we would be close," I replied.