Chapter 57 - The Fear of the Unknown

"I told you to keep watch, Albert," Ryuuen said with a harsh tone.

"I didn't see anyone once we joined you, boss," Albert replied in a rough Japanese dialect.

"Don't get so upset, everyone," I replied, shrugging my shoulders. "I'm here now. We can't change that fact."

"It's a gift in its own way," Ryuuen said. "Destroying you here and now saves me the effort of doing it later."

"What's with the stupid umbrella in your hand too?" Ishizaki asked.

"It's just an umbrella. Is it bad to be prepared," I said as I placed it to the side. "Besides, I thought it was raining, but that was my mistake," I stated as I pointed toward Karuizawa, who was soaked and trembling on the floor.

"This can't be real," Ibuki muttered quietly. "No way either of these people could be X."

"What's the matter, Ibuki. Seems like you want to believe Ayanokouji isn't X," Ryuuen replied.

"You want to believe that. I'm telling you he can't be. He's too soft and good-natured to be a mastermind. And it would be stupid for Fukumoto-kun to be X and Class D's leader. Someone has to be pulling their strings. I bet you Ayanokouji doesn't even know what's going on, right?"

"Why would you say that," asked Ryuuen.

"On the deserted island exam. I was the one to hide Karuizawa's underwear and sabotage Class D. Everyone automatically suspected me - except Ayanokouji. He straight up told me that he believed I didn't do it."

"Did that make you happy?"

"That's not the point. I did commit the crime. It just proved to me how idiotic and unsuspecting he is."

"What do you think, Ryuuen-san," Ishizaki asked.

"I've had my eye on Ayanokouji since the beginning. He's always near Horikita or Fukumoto. Taking into account the speed and means by which Karuizawa's bullying was dealt with it made it clear that it was between Ayanokouji or Hirata."

"Oh sure, you're trying to seem so cool and smart now. You didn't even target those two till recently," Ibuki lashed back.

"I'm the person you are searching for," Kiyotaka blatantly told them.

"That seems fishy to me," Ishizaki voiced disbelief.

"Exactly!" Ibuki agreed. "Didn't you predict X wouldn't show up anyway?"

"That certainly is true. This looks like a bad move on your part. It was best to abandon Karuizawa and not walk into an obvious trap. I can understand why those two don't believe you. So tell me, how do you expect to get out of this dilemma?" Ryuuen asked.

"Am I in a delimma," Kiyotaka asked.

Ryuuen and his gang looked on in disbelief and shock at his question.

"I simply came here because Karuizawa asked for my help. If you want to ensure I'm X, you can wait for the results of the next exam."

"That won't suffice. We know your identity now and Karuizawa's secret. Awful things will happen if you decide to leave now."

"Awful things?" I asked.

"Enough Already," Ryuuen barked. "Show me what you can do," he replied with an eery smile.

"There's nothing I can do."

"I bet Fukumoto isn't the only one nearby," Ishizaki warned as he glanced toward the door.

"Not true," Ryuuen said. "Karuizawa would want to keep her past kept to a minimum. Only a limited amount of people would know among her classmates."

"C'mon, Ryuuen. There's no way X would just stroll in here, we have the wrong guys," Ibuki voiced disbelief again.