Chapter 7 - Study Group

It was the first study session of the Fukumoto group.

The study groups had been initialized yesterday, and exam preparation was underway.

Both Hirata and Kushida were put in charge of forming all the study groups, as they had the most connections with everyone in the class and knew who worked well with each other.

My group consisted of Maya Sato, Kei Karuizawa, Chiaki Matsushita, and Haruka Hasebe.

I was well acquainted with Sato, Karuizawa, and Matsushita since we all went to Keyaki Mall after school a while back. I assumed this was Hirata's doing to keep me comfortable and provide the best chance at teaching them effectively since I already knew them.

Hasebe though was someone I never interacted with in class. She didn't have a strong presence in class and mostly kept to herself. She even skipped the swim class because of a 'sickness'. I think she just didn't want someone like Ike staring at her in a swimsuit. Other than that, she seemed to be a nice girl, she had long blue hair and was definitely one of the prettier girls in our class.

I didn't know precisely how to lead a study group, but from what Hirata told me, I should identify their weakest subjects and focus on helping everyone there.

The meeting time for our group was 4:30pm.

We all unanimously decided to study in the library today. Well... the girls suggested studying at Pallet, but I decided the library would be a better place to maintain their focus instead of a bust cafe.

I showed up at the meeting place 15 minutes early. I thought as the leader, I needed to secure a spot and be the first one there to set a good example.

The library was rather full today.

Looking around, it looked like many students from various years and classes had also decided the library would be the best place to hold study sessions.

From what I could see, there weren't any available spots for a larger group of people. Just single chairs scattered around the library.

This might be a problem. A sudden change to plans just before a study session could throw the whole schedule off and result in no studying getting done.

I had to make an executive decision now if we switched locations or called off the session entirely.

"Fukumoto-kun?"

I turned to my right to see a familiar face sitting at a table.

Hiyori Shiina of Class C. My declared book buddy. She was one of the very first people I met at this school. But; I hadn't been able to reconnect with her recently since then. So, it was nice finally being able to see her after a long time.

"Hey, Hiyori! It's been too long, how are you?"

"I'm doing well, how are things with you?"

"Eh, there going..." I replied, "so, what are you doing at the library?"

"Reading! And a little bit of studying."

"I should've guessed that. Any new good books?" I asked.

Hiyori's face brightened as she turned to dig something out of her bag.

Hiyori returned from her bag, holding two books, and laid them on the table in front of her. I stepped closer to her to get a good look at these books.

"I just finished these two, but I must say, they were phenomenal reads."

I peered at the cover of the books, "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoevsky, and "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens. True classic novels, which I had read countless times.