Chapter 21 - A Day Off

The past 2 days on the luxury cruise ship had been nothing short of amazing. It was a well-deserved time off for everyone, after that intense, special exam on the island.

Everyone was enjoying themselves, having the opportunity to hang out with friends and members of the opposite sex, as we traveled through open waters. Most of my time was spent wandering the ship or in my room. Sometimes I'd read on the deck of the ship or hang around the pool.

I did meet up with some friends, like Chiaki, Kei, and Maya, but most of their activities did not appeal to me. I debated meeting up with my newfound partner, Ayanokouji, but he didn't seem like the type to be too open to hanging out with someone.

Ichinose and I had made plans back on the island to meet up the day after we got on the boat. But being a prominent figure of support in her class, she had to help take care of fellow classmates for the past few days. Fortunately, though, on the third day after the exam. Ichinose made sure that we could continue our pushed-back plans.

I was planning to wake up slightly later, so I wouldn't have to wait hours until our meet-up time at 11am. But destiny had a different plan, whether it be excitement or torture, I woke up at 8 am. Most of my roommates were still asleep, so quietly, I got up and got myself prepared for the day.

I had 3 hours to kill till my meet-up with Ichinose, so I set out of my room to wander the ship once more to waste the time.

As I stepped out of my room, though, I was greeted by 3 familiar faces.

"Perfect timing, Akio!" Kei shouted at me.

"Your voice is too loud for this early in the morning," I complained. "Why are you three even here?"

"Aw~ c'mon, how did you already forget. We were going to help you get ready for today." Chiaki squealed in excitement.

"How did you even know it was today? It got pushed back multiple times, and I never told you when it was."

Maya struck a triumphant pose beside me. "Never underestimate my social network and desire for gossip, Akio."

Right. Maya was one of the resident gossip queens of our year and a magician with her phone. She probably could get ahold of any information she wanted within the hour with her skills.

"By the way, Akio. Is that what you're wearing?" Kei asked.

"Yeah... why?"

"That won't do," she said while shaking her head.

The other two girls also followed her sentiment as they both shook their heads in disapproval.

"But, it's not like I have a huge selection. We still have to wear our school uniforms."

"You're right." Kei brought her hand to her chin while she stood there thinking. "I know! Switch to a long-sleeve uniform shirt and come back out."

"Okay..."

This was definitely not how I'd expected to start my morning. Getting judged and criticized by my friends was not on my to-do list before this meet-up.

But nevertheless, I did what they said and returned with a long-sleeve white button-up shirt.

"Better?" I asked as I walked back out into the hallway.

"Almost," Maya responded. "Just lose one of the top buttons and roll up your sleeves."

"That's the last request I'm listening to," I said as I finished rolling up my sleeve.

"Now that, that's taken care of," Chiaki said. "Time to go over the game plan in our room."