Chapter 48 - The Cunning

"Whew," Horikita let out a sigh and glanced at the classroom.

"Looks like we're all finished," Kiyotaka responded.

"I've never considered studying to be stressful... but I studied harder for this test than any other test in my life."

"What score do you think you got on the math test?"

"I'm confident that I got one hundred percent. Or a high ninety, to say the least."

"What do you mean?"

"You can't dismiss the possibility I wrote something incorrectly since there was a question that seemed ambiguous to me, but regardless, I'm confident in my score."

"Well, that's great to hear," I interjected into their conversation. "Scoring well on exams is always rewarding."

"Suzune?" A wild Sudo appeared before us. "Can I tell you something... in private?"

"What is it? I have plans, so it's better to speak to me now."

"About today's test... I wanted to apologize. I don't know if I hit the forty-point mark in all the subjects," Sudo hung his head low as he spoke with sincerity.

"Considering the content of the test, I'm more than impressed with your development. I'm sure there were many students in this class who struggled today. We came up with the best plan of attack, but we can never predict the future," Horikita shot a glance in my direction. Practically begging me to confirm with her how well I did on these tests.

"I think we should be alright," I replied. "We all prepared extremely well, I'm sure no one will be dropping out."

"No one?" Horikita asked with intrigue.

"Not a single soul, guaranteed."

Horikita let out a sigh of relief this time. She was probably overcome with stress about this exam and her other classmates.

Which was new for her.

"Well, we should go then. Ayanokouji, Fukumoto, are you staying?" Sudo shot us a skeptical look.

"They have nothing to do with my business. I'm meeting with Kushida-san anyways," Horikita responded.

"Ah," all of Sudo's worry seemed to drain out of him once he knew Horikita was meeting with another girl. This guy seems to have jealousy problems.

Then he left with Yamauchi and Ike without saying another word.

"So, how will you deal with Kushida?" Ayanokouji asked.

Coincidentally, as Ayanokouji finished his sentence, I received a text from someone.

After quickly checking it over, the messenger got up from her seat and left the classroom.

"I wonder what's wrong with Kushida-san?" Horikita mused.

"She can probably grasp what score she might've got on her tests. Even though she is an honor student, you can't always score high grades. She must have done poorly on one of them," I explained.

"I would hope so... I should confirm with her."

Horikita and Ayanokouji both left the classroom to follow Kushida.

"If you had lost, would you have prostrated yourself before her and begged for forgiveness?" Kiyotaka said.

"That was your worst attempt at sarcasm," Horikita replied as their voices faded away.

Not too long after those two left, I loosely followed them from behind. Making sure to stay out of sight.

Kushida messaged me earlier in the classroom where she would be meeting Horikita. So I didn't need to leave the class with Horikita to know where they were.