Chapter 25 - Zodiac Exam (Finale)

(Zodiac Exam, Day 4, Fukumoto Akio, POV)

"Hey, Fukumoto? Have a moment?"

"Sure, Ayanokouji. What's the problem?"

It was the morning of the final day of the Zodiac Exam. I'd have to say this was one of the more interesting exams, but like the past few days there seemed to be no progression in any group. Especially, with Class A's complete defense strategy.

Ryuuen did attempt to try and form an alliance with all the other classes to thoroughly crush Class A. But knowing Ryuuen's character, Class B and D both immediately declined.

We were in the final stages of this exam, and almost no progression had happened. Well, except for the Monkey Group.

"Mind if I ask first, Ayanokouji?"

"Hmm?"

"What happened with the Monkey Group? I heard the group rescinded out of the exam on the second day, but I never figured out why?"

"Oh, that was Kouenji's doing. He turned traitor and ended their exam."

"Wow. That's either some serious skill or he doesn't care."

"Apparently, the Cow Group also ended yesterday. But I don't know how..."

"I see..."

Guess the exam was starting to heat up in its final stages.

"So, what did you want to ask me, Ayanokouji?"

"It's about, Karuizawa. You're close to her, right?"

"Yeah, you could say I'm close friends with Kei. Why's that?"

"Well, I want information on her."

"You want me to tell you about Karuizawa?"

"Exactly," Ayanokouji nodded. "It would be beneficial to know more about the people in my group. Even if it is the last day, any information is vital. I somewhat understand the Professor and Yukimura, but Karuizawa is an abnormality to me."

"I see... Well, I guess you could say she is headstrong, somewhat uncooperative at times, and can be lack for of a better word, dumb. But all in all, she's a good person, she just needs someone to steer her in the right direction."

"I see," Ayanokouji mumbled.

"Do you think she's the VIP? Is that why you asked?"

"There's that. But more than that, I can't understand her behavior. That's why I'm worried."

"How so?"

"When you first meet someone, you make judgments based on their appearance. You could determine if they're cool or cute. You read people. Next, you learn about their inner self through conversation and their actions. You see if they're intelligent, sociable, passionate, etc."

I continued to listen to Ayanokouji's monologue.

"But all of that is superficial. Just as superficial as their outside appearance. Their innermost thoughts cannot be apparent from that. For example, Horikita, Ibuki, you, or even myself. We all have a difference between our outer and inner self."

"So you're saying her strange behavior is hiding something secret within herself?"

"Almost everyone does, subconsciously or not. We all are hiding something."

"So, what do you plan to do with her?" I asked.

"Karuizawa is a central figure in our class. She can unite all the girls with her words. She can assume control."