Chapter 26 - Sazae-san Syndrome

Sazae-san Syndrome. It's a syndrome characterized by the depression that sinks in when you start watching Sazae-san on Sunday evening and realize the next day is Monday. I believe students garner a similar feeling when they are hit with the realization that summer vacation is almost over.

Except, I don't fully agree with this sentiment. High school is the only time when a teenager can truly be free. After their years of schooling are done, they're either shoved into the workforce or forced to live a dull life.

And if they somehow escape that destiny, college or university awaits them, which limits their freedom and growth even more so than compulsory education ever did.

The years of your life when you can freely do what you want are limited.

Students don't truly realize the opportunity they are given and spend the majority of their time bickering about the constraints school places on them. Once they become old enough, they'll realize the amount of freedom and joy they had. And now cherish that as they become adults.

Almost no one realizes how truly fortunate they are during this time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, POV)

Fortunately, our time aboard the cruise ship came to an end.

After the multiple exams we encountered on that trip, the first-year student body needed some time to unwind and relax.

We were given some time off to enjoy our summer vacation once we returned to the school grounds.

Unfortunately, for a more shut-in type like me, I spent most of my days in my room or wandering the grounds of ANHS alone.

I wasn't the one to actively make plans with those I could consider friends. I waited for those people to reach out to me with an opportunity to hang out.

While I did have my fill of unfortunate circumstances thus far, that opportunity had not presented itself yet.

And it seemed the unfortunate circumstances kept on rolling.

Not too long ago, a text message from the school informed us that the entire dormitory wouldn't have water for quite some time.

The school was taking the necessary steps to provide for the students. It would hand out two liters or more of water in the cafeteria as needed, but we were warned that the cafeteria would be crowded, as a result.

The problem for me wasn't about drinking water; the big problem would be the toilet. There was water in the tank but only enough for one flush, so we had to be cautious.

Nonetheless, I continued my day as usual, fairly uninterrupted by the water problem.

But as I was prepping my dinner, my phone suddenly sprung to life. And the moment I went to answer the call, it stopped.

I saw on the notification on my screen that Horikita had called. It was unusual for her to call me as most of our contact was through messages. I didn't give it too much thought and continued with my prep.

Once I was finished, I heard my phone ringing once again, but before I could grab it, the call ended. And once again, it was Horikita who had called. I was starting to get curious, so I tried to call her instead. But no matter how long it rang, she never picked up.

"Huh, weird," I muttered.

I tried sending her some texts asking if she needed help which was read instantly but with no response.