Chapter 56 - The Beginning of the End

(Karuizawa Kei, POV)

"I know what you're thinking," Ryuuen sneered as he poured more ice-cold water over me. "If you give up 'X', you'll lose their protection. Your only hope will be lost."

My teeth were chattering loudly as the cold continued to seep into my body. I had promised myself I would be stoic no matter what happened. But as my mind wandered, memories of the past started to overlap with the present.

I don't know how much longer I could hold out for.

How much of this could I endure.

The physical pain my body was feeling was immense, but the pain within my heart hurt far more.

My brain was beginning to abandon me as the torment continued.

"Are you going to die here, Karuizawa? Without hope, accepting that your past is now your present?" Ryuuen's words cut deep into me. "'X' isn't coming for you. They can't save you now... but I can, Karuizawa."

No.

"Cooperating is your best option. If you don't, this pain will only continue."

Please, someone.

Help me.

"What do you think will happen to your position in your class if people start to learn more about you?"

Anyone, please. I'm scared.

"You'll go back to your old life. The real you! The pathetic, scared girl who was always bullied!"

"No, no, no, no! Please! Forgive me! Please!" I wailed back.

"Spit it out then, Karuizawa. Make it easier, protect yourself."

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"

My mind and pride were broken. Well, they were already broken before. I had pieced them back together as carefully as possible, but it was too fragile. A gust of wind could have easily shattered it. And now, it's been completely broken.

The proud and headstrong Karuizawa Kei that had entered this school was beginning to die. Fading into dust.

"No matter what happens here. We know your secret. I know your secret! And I'll make sure everyone else does too."

Despite myself, the memories came flooding back.

The memories of the hell I had gone through in junior high. I was competitive and stubborn, which made me a lot of enemies.

I'd be kicked, punched, dumped water on, and they'd steal my uniform and make me do horrible things.

At some point, I had accepted it.

Accepted that Ryuuen was bullying me. Accepted that the people who were kind to me now would eventually change.

This school was my only lifeline, and it was vanishing before my eyes.

I couldn't hold back the stream of tears as I looked up at the sky. I didn't want to go back.

I'll save you.

Those were the words Kiyotaka promised to me. That he would be there for me.

Was I too naive or foolish to believe in him? I know he saw me, saw in my eyes how I was begging for his aid.

He cut me off abruptly without confirmation of keeping his promise.

Did I become an afterthought for him?

Did he abandon me?

"Still holding out to hope, are you?" said Ryuuen. "You must trust 'X' a lot. Too bad they tricked you from the beginning."