Chapter 19 - Deserted Island Exam (6)

(Day 6, 7:32pm, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, POV)

It had been quite some time since those three individuals left, so I finally stepped out from the bushes just beyond where Horikita confronted Ibuki.

I had followed both their footprints from camp, with the weather getting worse and amount of turns along the way, didn't make it an easy task, but I made it there in time to see the final transaction go down.

As I stepped out from my cover, I made my way to Horikita.

She was drenched from the rain, covered in mud, and probably in a lot of pain.

I lowered myself till I was crouching above her. She was breathing slowly and made no movements when I approached her. A single keycard lay on the ground near her. From the amount of soil moved around her, I confirmed that more people than Ibuki had discovered Horikita as our leader. After I put the keycard in my pocket, I lifted Horikita into my arms.

"Ngh..."

Horikita let out a small groan, and her eyes slowly fluttered open.

"Ayano...kouji-kun?"

She sounded dazed and didn't seem to understand the situation.

"My... head... hurts... I just... wanna... lay... down..."

"You've got a high fever, don't push yourself."

"Fine... but! Ibuki-san..."

Horikita tried to resist my grip on her. No matter what I told her, she wouldn't listen to me. She wanted to continue fighting for the class, even with her high fever.

"Ibuki-san stole my card..."

"I see."

"I can't be dumber than the three idiots."

Even now, she was belittling herself about the situation, where she felt powerless.

"This isn't a test where you can hide all day. At some point, you will be open to attack."

I would've kept going, but considering Horikita's fragile situation, I held my tongue.

"I could've... avoided this if I knew... how to rely on someone..."

This test was about using the strength and abilities of those around you to create the most success. By having others to depend on, you could protect the card for the entire exam. But, Horikita hadn't made many friends to rely on.

She kept muttering something to herself as I continued to walk her in the direction of the beach.

"When I was losing consciousness, I thought I heard Ryuuen-kun's voice... But didn't he already retire..?"

"I think it was your imagination, you do have a fever."

"Maybe so..." Horikita said quietly. "I'm sorry..."

"Why are you apologizing?" I asked.

"I'm sorry, to you... Fukumoto-kun..."

"If you think this is bad, then make some trustworthy friends."

"That's difficult advice... No one would want to be with me."

I laughed internally. It sounded like Horikita resigned herself to a life of gloom and depression.

"Don't laugh at me..."

"How... never mind," I said. "I do believe there are people who are willing to be your ally."

"No one would do that..."

Horikita was carrying a different weight now. She would normally be ridiculing me, but now she was only blaming herself.