SS.2 - Behind a Mask (Kushida)

I'm convinced that everyone in this world is hiding who their true selves are.

Whether that be from others or from themselves. Everyone is hiding behind a mask.

It may be to hide their inner fears, struggles, sins, or gross desires.

But no one shows 100% of themselves to the world. Everyone hides something.

They may not even be aware of this fact, living life as if they were an open book. But there is always one page, one line, one thing they hold dear onto and dare not to show anyone else.

Most people use a mask to hide their secrets or true self from others.

Even I am one of those people.

I do consider myself more perceptive than others.

Able to decipher the silver lining behind their words.

Being able to see what they are hiding behind their own mask.

But...

Some are more... Complicated than others.

Even within this school, there are some people for who it is hard for me to see what lies beyond their words and actions.

Those people hide their true selves better than anyone else.

Almost as if they are living two different lives.

Some people convince themself into believing the mask they live in is their true self. They become blinded by a fantasy of living a 'perfect' life and forget who they genuinely are.

Hoping this mask can replace what they don't have or make them forget who they really are.

To be completely honest with myself, I am one of those people who live behind a mask.

When out in public, I dawn a mask of an angel.

Pure.

Unscathed.

And kind.

While it is bothersome having to wear this mask day in and day out. I learned at a young age; that I needed to wear this mask if I wanted to live my life.

I was put on a pedestal at a young age. Admired by all, adored by all.

The feeling of being the best was engraved into every fiber of my body.

I loved that feeling.

So when I grew older and realized those with talent and skill began to take that spotlight, I was sick to my core.

I found other methods to re-live that feeling.

I became someone who would be liked by all because I would be a kind and helpful person that was always there for them.

Honestly, it's tiresome always living like that.

Constantly used, depended on, and stared at by the perverted boys in class.

Being seen as 'trustworthy' has its benefits for me. I learn secrets that no one else would ever know. I gather the information that no one else could get without my skill.

It is a tiresome role to always keep this smile.

But I do so because that feeling of admiration and being the best is all I need in my life.

I will keep playing this role until I am exposed or see no need for it anymore.

But I will try and keep this facade going as long as possible; for my own sake.

Once people do find out about this mask of mine and see my true self, it will be over.

I'll turn on every last one of them if I have to. To try and keep this lie a reality.

"Hey, Kushida?" A familiar voice sounded through the school gym and snapped me out of my train of thought.

I turned to face Class D's 'supposed' leader. "Yes, Fukumoto-kun?"

He took a step closer to me, holding a notebook. "Do you mind getting this notebook to Horikita while I clean up?"

Isn't that the notebook with all the class's information regarding the Sports Festival?

Why would he give it to me? If he wanted to give it to that pig, why not give it to her directly.

Unless...

This could be the perfect opportunity for me.

To use the information inside that notebook as a way to crush Class D.

Well, more specifically, that moron Horikita.

"I'd be happy too!" I replied with my signature good-girl smile.

I may have seemed too giddy because as soon as I reached out to take the notebook, Fukumoto pulled it away.

"What's the matter, Fukumoto-kun?"

"It's imperative that none of this information leaves this class. Or even better, Horikita and I, to be precise. So, I'd like you to promise me that none of this information gets out or that you won't look at it."

I paused for a second. Could he know what my true intention is?

No, there's no way. There's no sign of any intelligence behind those hazel-colored eyes.

I tilted my head in response to emphasize my confusion. "Do you not trust me, Fukumoto-kun?"

"It's not that... I'm just worried about any leaks."

"Don't worry, Fukumoto-kun. I'd never do anything to harm the class."

"Thank you," Fukumoto replied.

Idiot.

Boys like him are the easiest to fool. If you flash a quick smile and act all cheerful, they'll never suspect your original intentions.

I made my way out of the gym, clutching the notebook tightly to my body. Keeping up my 'angel' act, I turned to offer Fukumoto a small wave as I left the gymnasium.

As soon as I was out of sight from prying eyes, I opened the book.

Listed in the first few pages were everyone's values that we recorded in our physical ability testing. All boring information.

But a few pages beyond that was where the valuable information lay.

A lineup for everyone's participation in the events for the festival. A pretty comprehensive one too.

This was what I needed to destroy my opponent. This was my chance.

I knew exactly who to give this information to.

Suddenly, as I continued walking, an uneasy feeling started to rise inside me.

A feeling of manipulation, a feeling of anxiety.

My feet stopped moving and my skin started to break out in a cold sweat.

There was only one question that popped up in my mind.

How could this have happened to me? Could it be that I was the one being set up?

No, there's no way.

The only person who could have caused this feeling inside me was Fukumoto.

But I'm 99% sure he had no clue what my plan was.

Still, that 1% of not knowing frightened me. That 1% felt so much bigger than that 99%.

I steeled my resolve, pushed that feeling deep down inside of me, and continued with my mission.

This would all work out in the end...

I'd have my sweet victory.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------