SS.3 - A New Goal (Sakayanagi)

"What is it you wanted to discuss, Fukumoto-kun?" I asked as the handsome gentleman helped guide me to my chair.

"It's about this upcoming final exam. More specifically, the Paper Shuffle Exam. I was wondering if you'd be able to indulge in my vision?"

I had thought so, but I couldn't help but let out a small grin in response. "I'd be willing to hear you out."

"I have a plan to help Class D's chances of succeeding far greater. I'd just need some help from top-level talent."

"Fufufu and you have come to me for this request. I feel so honored. How may I help you?"

"Well, since Class A and Class D are not fighting each other during this exam. I thought you could help me. And I could help you," Fukumoto said.

"Hmm, how so?"

"Class C, more specifically, Ryuuen. Is a thorn in everyone's side. While his tactics are mere child's plan and extreme banter, it would be beneficial to all the other classes if he got knocked off his high horse, don't you think?"

"True, while Ryuuen-kun's tactics are archaic, they throw others off balance and become quite a nuisance. I wouldn't be against checking his ego."

"Well, here is my proposition. I would like if Class A were to provide the questions for this final exam for us. Out of every class, Class A alone stands atop the academic podium. If I could get a copy of your questions, it would save a tremendous effort and thoroughly dishearten Class C."

I tapped my finger on the table in front of me for a moment. It was an interesting request. Surely, Class C wouldn't be able to withstand questions of high caliber.

But if this was to be considered a negotiation, it was an extremely poor attempt by Fukumoto-kun. A negotiation is meant to satisfy or entice both parties. The way he was going about it meant only one party would truly benefit from this deal.

Surely, he must notice that fault in his plan. For now, I'll enjoy this conversation.

"I'll indulge your fantasy for a moment. Let's say I do hand over the test questions; can you guarantee these would be the test questions seen on the final?"

"I can. Horikita did speak to Chabashira-sensei today about only allowing herself to submit the questions. But as was said on the first day of school. Private Points can essentially buy anything. 

So I bought the right to be the only person to submit our test questions for this final."

"Fufufu and I'm assuming you're working alone on this matter?"

"Yes. Nobody in Class D knows I did this. Not even Horikita."

I once again smiled at his response. "Now, why would I want to work with someone who would go behind the back of those he trusts."

"There aren't many people I trust. Besides, this unsatisfied desire I have to win is all you need to trust."

I couldn't respond right away.

It wasn't hard to tell by the conversation we were having that Fukumoto-kun's only desire was to win.

No, to be more precise. He'd give his life to win.

He would do anything to achieve that goal of his. That's why he was meeting with me today.Somewhere deep inside me, I felt that connection to him. That ambition to achieve a dream that meant more than your own life.

"I do understand that desire. You can count on Class A to provide you with the test questions."

"Thank you, it will be a landslide victory for Class D then. Thanks to your high intellect, " Fukumoto-kun replied.