Chapter 33 - Challenges

After clearing up the scuffle between Kouenji and Sudo, Kiyotaka and I left Kouenji in the medical tent and made our way back to Class D's tent to prepare to watch the girl's races.

~~~

Not many of the girl's races went in favor of Class D. Expect for the likes of Onodera, Maezono, and even Kushida.

But you could tell they all gave an honest effort. Even the likes of Sakura finished the race panting and sweating. I was proud to see that all of them gave it their all.

"First years, Group 10, 100m girls dash. Please take your positions on the track. I repeat-."

"Hey, Hirata," I called out. "Who from Class D is in group 10?"

Hirata diverted his attention to a small clipboard with each individual's race group they would be participating in.

"It looks like Horikita-san is the only one in this group."

This was going to be an important race to watch.

I looked toward the track and saw Horikita minding her business, doing a few stretches.

Almost right beside her, speaking a little too loudly into her ear, was Ibuki. Most likely trying to psych her out or trash talk her. But Horikita gave her no attention, focusing on her race instead. That duo would make the race far more interesting. Considering the events that had transpired during the Island exam and Ibuki declaring Horikita as her 'rival'. It would definitely be an entertaining race to watch.

The self-proclaimed rival vs. the ice queen.

It was quite a coincidence, though, that these two ended up being in the same group.

"Do you know if Ibuki's athletic," Sudo chimed.

"From what I've heard, she's definitely more athletic than most."

"That's fine. Horikita's got it in the bag. You'll need to be better than just average to beat her," proudly supporting his crush.

With the sound of the pistol, all the girls shot forward. From where I was standing, there was no clear indication of who was the faster individual at the moment between Horikita and Ibuki. Ibuki did start with a slight lead after some time. But as the race continued on, Ibuki's form started to turn sloppy, as she would turn her head to look back at Horikita. That was all Horikita needed to take advantage though, as she now began to create some distance between Ibuki.

Still, Ibuki showed no signs of giving up just yet and was hot on Horikita's tail for the entire race. This race was completely dominated by these two.

Eventually, Horikita was the one to emerge victorious. By a mere fraction of a second, Horikita had taken a first-place finish, with Ibuki placing second.

Everyone who watched the race exploded into grand cheers at the sheer excitement of the race. Ibuki wasn't so delighted, as she kicked at the dirt in frustration, letting a few curse words fly too.

Horikita tucked her hair behind her ear as she made her way back to the class's tent.

"Horikita, you were amazing!" Sudo was the first to congratulate her. Sticking his hand out in hopes of a high-five in celebration.

"Thank you, Sudo-kun," Horikita said as she walked past, leaving Sudo completely hanging.

Horikita continued walking past all her praises as she joined up with Ayanokouji and me.

"That was a good race," Ayanokouji said.

"I agree, Ibuki almost had you, but you pulled it off in the end," I added.