Chapter 38 - Negotiations

(Horikita Suzune, POV)

I made my way to the nurse's office: alone.

Feeling battered and bruised, not just from my injuries but also from Fukumoto-kun's little speech to me.

He has constantly preached to me to 'find allies' or to 'learn to change'.

Ever since I met him earlier this year, he's preached those words to me.

At first, I gave those words of his little to no thought. After all, how could someone who you only met recently decide what you need, let alone give you advice on how you should change your life.

Those words of his only agitated me. But he continued to admonish me; no matter how many times it would take for me to change, Fukumoto-kun would continue to preach that advice to me.

It wasn't till recently that I gave some extra thought to his words. I had begun to realize that even though we were strangers not too long ago, we had grown closer.

I don't know if I fully believed myself when I told him that I acknowledged him as my friend. Maybe I said those words to Fukumoto-kun to get him off my case.

But after reflecting on that moment.

I can say with confidence, that Fukumoto-kun is my first friend.

That's why that little lecture he gave me earlier stun so much.

Fukumoto-kun was absolutely right, and there was nothing I could say back.

This was an entirely new phenomenon for me, so I didn't know how to react in the moment.

But, if I wanted to change, if I wanted to improve Class D, if I wanted to chase after Sudo-kun. I'd have to take care of myself first. Emergency medical treatment was possibly on the field, but during the brief break before lunch, I'd had an emergency staff member tape my leg, but that didn't improve my condition.

When I reached the nurse's office, I saw a few individuals already there. Of the available beds, one was curtained off, and I couldn't tell who was inside.

"How is it, Sensei?" I asked.

The nurse who was treating my ankle looked up. "Participating in any more events will be quite difficult, considering the severity of your injury."

I was diagnosed with a sprain. And my condition hadn't got any better or worse. I was in no position to run, let alone do anything. If I took part in any event, I'd never win, no matter how hard I tried.

"Do you plan to take part in the recommended-participant events?"

"I would've. But considering my condition and the class's current predicament... I'd only be a hindrance during those events."

"That's a wise decision."

"Thank you very much."

I wasn't worried so much about the Private Points I would lose for finding a substitute. I was more concerned about who would be my substitute.

With that, I left the nurse's office. As I made my way in the direction of the dorms, I noticed my reflection in the window. A limping and pathetic person trying to fight with no support.

"Horikita-san!"

I turned back to face the voice calling out to me. Surprisingly, it was Kushida-san who called out for me.

"I'm glad I found you. There's something important I need to speak to you about," she said.

"Can this matter wait? I have some of my own business to attend to."