Chapter 17 - Deserted Island Exam (4)

"Will you pick up the pace?"

"Jeez, Horikita, I stayed back for like two seconds."

Currently, my small adventure group was still wandering the dense forestry of the deserted island.

We were on our way to scout the final campsite of our competitors, Class A.

Of all the classes, they were supposed to be labeled the best, so it would be interesting to see how they approached this test.

As for my class, we tried our best to conserve the points the school had allotted us for this exam. While that meant living a frugal lifestyle, it would be beneficial for our class in the future.

From the information we got from Ichinose, Class A had apparently set up their campsite in a nearby cave on the mountainside. She also mentioned that Class A had set up a defensive strategy, but I wanted to see that for myself.

After a few more minutes of walking, we approached the clearing before Class A's base.

I couldn't see much from behind the shrubbery that kept us hidden. But what I could see was a large drape or curtain covering the entrance to the cave where Class A was supposed to be.

No one seemed to be around the cave at the moment, so this might be the perfect time to get a quick look.

I started to advance from my position before a hand reached out to me and pulled me back.

"Hey. Aren't we going to see their campsite?"

"I don't know. We may want to leave them be," Horikita replied.

"Seriously, you dragged Ayanokouji and me all around the island to only get cold feet just before the finale."

Horikita's face stiffened a bit at my response.

"We're here now, so might as well."

Ayanokouji seemed to agree with me as he got up and advanced toward Class A.

"Hey, what are yo-"

I grabbed Horikita by her wrist and tossed her into the clearing, now she had to go and see Class A.

As we made the final steps to the entrance of Class A's campsite, a man stepped out from behind the cover.

"W-what are you three doing here?"

"Hello," Horikita was the first to address the new presence, "we are from Class D. My name is Horikita Suzune, this is Ayanokouji Kioytaka-kun, and behind him is Fukumoto Akio."

No honorific for me, huh.

"We came to see the progress of Class A."

"U-uh, I can't let you do that."

"Why not?"

"Because it's the rules."

"I never saw it in the rules to deny entrance into someone's camp," Horikita continued her quick-witted pressure against the obviously flustered opponent.

She took a step toward the curtain and began to draw it back before the man grabbed her wrist forcefully stopping her.

"I can't let you do that."

"Are you threatening to use violence? I'm sure that is a violation in this exam that could cost your class dearly. Besides, the monopolization of one spot has to be a violation considering the essence of this exam."

Horikita went to try and open the curtain once again, but before she could, a tall, muscular, bald man stepped out from behind.

"What's going on, Yahiko?"