Holding Onto You Chapter 53

Hunter's pov

I had never felt more proud of myself before as the school applauded me for my bravery and I felt like I had actually made a difference and I was no longer seen by others as just a blind boy.

In less than a year I went from entering the cafeteria and hating having everyone's eyes on me to entering the cafeteria and loving the attention I was getting.

I was really going to miss this place. I was going to miss being around everyone who had accepted me with open arms. I was going to miss Tyler, Alex and Sarah the most. I loved them so much.

I was going to miss everyone at what was called the footballers table. I was going to miss Marissa and her need to always give me little gifts. I was going to miss Leo.

I knew that he gave Vincent what I couldn't give him and if it wasn't him it would have to be someone else so it might as well have been him. It was just the little things that was needed to complete our relationship. The smiles they shared, the late night texts, and most importantly, the compliments. If it was something that Vincent loved receiving, he had to receive it one way or another. Whether he was using Leo for his own needs I didn't know but I knew that he wouldn't love being around him if he was.

Was he always going to need someone to fill in for what I was lacking? Was I always expected to just accept it? Did he think I am strong enough?

I sighed against the breeze as I sat on the bench by the football field while Vincent and the guys had practice. Vincent had asked me to stay while he had practice. Finn was also on the field and he was fit enough to play in the next game.

I pulled out the MP3 player Leo gifted me and listened to music, enjoying the afternoon sun. I also found a chocolate bar in my bag and tore open the wrapper and immediately getting the taste of honeycomb as I bit into it, my favourite. It was a little melted and made a mess on my hands but I didn't care.

I used to hate being in my own company because it always brought unwanted thoughts about the past. But now being by myself and having time to think calmed me and brought over me a peace that I cherished.

I closed my eyes, sitting back and enjoying the music and the sun and even the sweet taste of the chocolate on my lips. After a little while I felt Vincent sit next to me and kiss me. I kissed him back and he was warm from absorbing some of the afternoon sun.

"Mmm you taste nice." He kissed me again. "Babe what happened? You have chocolate all over you."

"It's been in my bag for a while, it was completely melted. But I don't even care if I got it all over, I enjoyed it." I told him as I shoved everything back in my bag and zipped it up. I felt him to know that he was still in his football gear. "Are you done with practice?"

"Yeah I'm going to the locker room to shower and you are coming with me so I can clean you up." He took my hand and I followed him.

Vincent cleaned the chocolate from me face and my clothes after I washed my hands and he took a quick shower before we went to a nearby coffee shop. Spending time with Vincent was what I imagined heaven to be like. Would I be able to see in heaven? Of course I would, I had to.

"Hey Hunt, this menu has braille." Vincent told me excitedly, handing me the menu.

I felt the menu and was happy to be able to order for myself. "Triple chocolate mousse cake, that sounds yummy."

"Yeah that's what's written here, wow you're good." Vincent marvelled and I smiled at his cuteness.

"Come here." I found his face and kissed him.

We ordered coffee and cake and enjoyed it together.

"Our lake house is finally complete so my parents and I are going this weekend and you are coming with me." He told me as we ate.