Holding Onto You Chapter 26

Hunter's pov

I entered the house and immediately the sound of dad and Heather's laughter caught my ears. Heather came home from school with her friend and must have reached here before me.

"Mum, why is dad home early?" I asked as I dropped my bag on the floor and took my jacket off.

"Your dad took off early today so we could go shopping for our first round of Christmas things. "A huge smile took over my despondent face.

I've been so caught up in my own life that I forgot that every year we go shopping every week from the week before thanksgiving until the last week of christmas.

I carelessly dropped my jacket and ran to the kitchen where I could hear their laughter and I knew that when ever dad was in the kitchen he sat on the high chair next to the window so I ran up to him and hugged him.

"Hunter!" He gasped from the force of my hug. I buried my face in his chest and felt a million times better. "I saw something really amazing for you at the mall son, let's eat so we can go buy it."

"What is it dad?" I whispered not wanting him to hear how hurt and torn up I still was from what happened at school.

According to Finn, I overreacted and it wasn't a big deal which caused me to get even more upset and I told him the same thing I told his best friend. That everything between us was over and I never want to speak to him again.

Maybe I did unnecessarily burst out because I'm not some special guy that everyone would die to be my friend and take care of me. I don't deserve anyone's pity and sympathy because I'm the cause of my own misfortune. But the worst part of this whole situation was that I'm more angry at myself than anyone else because I was stupid and selfish enough to think that I could deserve friends when the truth is that I don't and the only thing I do deserve is people worrying about me because they are helpless.

"It's a surprise son. One that you're going to love, I guarantee you." Dad sounded so excited and it surprised me but warmed my heart.

"Okay, but it better not be something that breaths and has four legs because I know how much you love going to the pet shop at the mall." I'll have every type of body damaging attack if dad has to place any type of animal in my arms.

Dad laughed and I heard Heather laugh as well and that made me forget all my sadness for now. "No Hunter, it's nothing that's real I promise."

I sighed and hugged dad tighter and he wrapped his muscular arms around me. Dads broad shoulders and big muscles were the opposite of mums petite shoulders but mum was just as tall as dad and dad always called her his model. I don't think any two peoples love can be as strong as mum and dad's. They remained strong during the worst time of their lives and it was because of their love for each other that they continued to love me when I didn't deserve it.

"Dad, you love me, right?" I just needed to hear dad say he did.

Dad hugged me tighter and wrapped his arms firmly around me. "Of course I love you Hunter, did I ever give you a reason to doubt it? You and Heather are my life. Come here Heather."

I felt Heather next to me and I guessed that dad wrapped her in his arms as well because of how close she was.

"When you two were born, your mum and I were the happiest parents in the world because we didn't expect to have twins. All we ever wanted from that moment was the best for you and Heather. I know that we haven't had the best life but we still want only the best for you two. Yours and Heather's happiness means more to me than anything else Hunter." Dad did give us the best, always. I could feel mums presence next to us.