Holding Onto You Chapter 2

Hunter's POV

"Good morning sunshine, it's a beautiful day today, bright blue skies with not a cloud in sight. Are you all set for your first day of real school?" mum tried to sound excited and happy for my sake but I could hear the strain in her voice.

"Good morning mum. Yeah I'm ready, I just need to eat some breakfast which by the way smells delicious and we can be on our way." I replied, feeling my way to the kitchen counter. I set down and felt for my glass of juice. I took a long sip before placing it next to my plate. Everything of mine had its place and everyone new not to move it. I guess being blind since you are two years old kind of gets you in more of a routine than people with sight. But I was 17 years old now and I couldn't live with my parents forever and live with the same routine forever. That's why this summer I decided to go to school for my final year instead of being home schooled. My parents were against it completely at first but after weeks of explaining, whining and also some begging they finally agreed. I was actually surprised that they agreed but I guess they realized that some day they would have to let me go, whether it was high school or into the 'big beautiful bad world' as my mum liked to call it.

Since the day they agreed I haven't been able to stop grinning. I probably looked like a fool but I didn't care because I was super excited. I feel like I'm finally growing up and living my life despite my lack of sight. I'm scared no doubt, It's like jumping into the deep end of a pool, not knowing how deep it's going to be, whether you'll find your feet or loose your balance and try to get back to the surface with much difficulty. And it would have calmed my mum's nerves and maybe even mine if my twin sister Heather was supportive of my decision, but ever since I told her I'll be joining her in school she has been more mean to me, if that's possible, than she has ever been. She is against the idea as much as I am excited.

"Is Heather riding with us?" I asked mum as I ate the mouth watering blueberry pancakes that only my mum could make.

"Not in a million years bat." Heather said, walking into the kitchen and sitting in the chair next to me.

"Ah the 'blind as a bat' reference again. Your humour never ceases to amuse me dear sister." I retorted as I finished eating. "I'm done mum let's go!" I jumped off my chair and started tapping my fingers on the counter impatiently. For the past week I've been anxious and impatient for today to come already, and I guess a little intolerant since mum had to give me calming pills last night. But what did she expect. I hardly had any excitement in my life so to finally take such a big step was so.... delightful, for lack of a better word. Honestly, no words could describe how I felt right now. No one could understand how I felt, not even my twin sister, sadly. "Gosh mother you are so slow!" I whined as she put my bag in my hands which I eagerly strapped to my shoulder.

"Okay, okay calm down, we're going. Now your eagerness to go to school is another one of your extremities I'll have to deal with." She playfully complained as we got in the car and she strapped me up.

"Mum I can do it myself." I told her for only the billionth time. "And I have every right to be eager, today is the first day I'll be walking through the doors of school, and I'm scared as well. I wish dad could come with us." My dad worked from 6 in the morning and only got back at 4 in the afternoon everyday. I always complained because it never gave us anytime to do the things other kids did with their dad's and I needed my dad even when I wanted to do something simple like shoot hoops or skateboard. He always tried to make it up to me on Sundays but it was his day to finally relax and so I always made excuses. I tried making friends but society has become so judgemental that parents kept their kids away from the 'blind boy' to avoid any conflict with my parents in case I got injured while playing with them. Before I knew it I was already a teen and all the neighborhood kids forgot about the blind boy and got their own lives. But I still remained a mummy's boy. I still remained alone with only the darkness of this world as my company.