Holding Onto You Chapter 44

Hunter's pov

Vincent did not let me drink any more beer that night two weeks ago. One bottle of beer didn't have much effect on me but he insisted that getting drunk was not going to solve any of my problems. He was right obviously but right now as I heard my dad's voice on the other side of the line, I wished that I had just had one night to make everything disappear just like my eyes.

I was expecting Vincent's call so along with the shock of dad calling again after so long, I was also disappointed.

"How are you doing son?" He sounded tired.

He wasn't actually expecting an answer from me was he, or any sympathy.

He made me hate myself all my life for what happened to Andrew and just when I was starting to live like a normal person, just when I stopped blaming myself, he did something else to make me feel guilty and responsible. I could have lost Finn and that would have been the second time he took something away from me and blamed me for it. I will never forgive him.

"How's your mum and sister, are you looking after them?" His sweet voice sounded like a chainsaw to me.

I wasn't Andrew, how could I take care of them? I was just a useless little blind boy who couldn't even take care of himself.

I was about to cut the call when he decided to pull out the sympathy card. "Andrew wouldn't want us to be apart son. I need you all or I'm going to break. I miss you all so much. I would do anything for your forgiveness Hunter. Please just let me come home."

I couldn't stand hearing his voice any more. "You come anywhere near me or the house and I will go to the police. Don't call me ever again. I will never forgive you."

I cut the call and the tears came just as sudden as the call. Even though I knew that what dad did to Finn was not my fault, I knew that I would always blame myself. I couldn't even think of forgiving him though. But I also had to think about my family. Mum and Heather were the most important people to me in the whole world. I had to put their needs before mine.

My phone rang again and I hoped that this time it was Vincent as I answered.

"Hello." I answered cautiously, ready to cut the call if it was dad again.

"Hey Hunt, sorry I'm only calling now. My brothers are home for spring break so I don't have any peace in this house. Forget me, they are not even giving my poor Shaggy any peace. I had to actually hide him in my room with me." Vincent complained but I knew how much he loved having his brothers home. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing, can I come to your house?" I really missed Vincent and maybe spending the day with his family would be a good distraction from dad.

"You don't need to ask Hunt, this is your home as well, of course you can come over. But I just told you that my dog is with me and I can't let him out of the house so won't you be scared?" He asked, concerned.

"I'll be fine just come get me please." Mum was home but I didn't want to disturb her.

"Okay I'll be there in the blink of your beautiful eyes." He cut the call and I immediately got up and left my room.

I went downstairs and the smell of coffee filled the air from the kitchen.

Mum was humming along to music and as I entered the kitchen I could hear her flipping through a book.

"What would you like for dinner my dear. Heather is out with her friends so it's just you and me tonight." She asked me cheerfully.

Guilt took over me as I sat next to her at the table.