Holding Onto You Chapter 15

Brian's pov

We entered the dining room and I kept my eyes glued to the cream tiles the whole way to my seat next to Vince on his left. When I did risk a glance up I got a glimpse of Vincent's brother who sat across from me and was starring at me with questioning eyes. I plunged me gaze back down keeping my eyes fixed on my trembling hands.

"Evening dad, how was your day?" Vincent spoke to his dad who sat to his right at the end of the table, breaking the silence that had formed around his family who were eating and giving me strange looks.

"Evening son. My day was like every other day thanks for asking. You normally only have Finn over, who's your friend?" His dad replied, his voice rough and terrifying even as he spoke calmly.

"Yeah Vince who's your friend?" His brother who sat to my left at the other end of the table asked.

Vince took my right hand in his and placed them on his leg under the table causing me to calm down just a tiny bit.

"Guys this is Brian Harvey. We go to school together. Brian this is my dad Richard." He introduced us pointing to his dad. "This is my mum Bree who you've just met." He said pointing at his mum who sat opposite him. "And these are my brother's Steven and Jamie." He said pointing at Steven across me and Jamie next to me.

"Hello." I spoke my voice deciding to take a hike and leave me with a soft whisper so I just smiled at all of them and looked back down.

"There's actually something you all should know." Vince started and I crossed my fingers hoping for the best. Of course luck is my number one enemy.

"Brian." Jamie pointed out and I was ready to bolt from here by the look on his face. "Vincent aren't you always complaining about a guy named Brian always bullying everyone and getting you into trouble with Mr. Smith because you have to fight with him everyday and that you hate him and he belongs in jail and that you want to hang him upside down and shove a chainsaw down his throat. That's what you told me a few weeks ago when I called you and you were in a bad mood."

I looked at Vince with a raised brow and he sheepishly smiled at me rubbing the back of his neck with his free hand.

"At least I was talking about you." His voice wavered a moment and then he regained control. "Yeah and this is the same Brian but like I said, there is something you all need to know."

"Vincent what is he doing here?" Mr. Stone questioned Vince who's hand that was holding mine shook a little. "Do you know how much of embarrassment I've had to endure every time John calls me to complain about you and you actually brought the cause of this problem home, to dinner. Why? Answer me." This time his dad's voice was anything but calm.

Vincent stood up and I got dragged up with him since his grip on my hand had tightened.

"Dad Brian is anything but the cause of this problem, Kevin is. If it wasn't for Brian, calling this whole situation a problem would be putting it mildly. Brian has sacrificed so much and I was ignorant enough to not see it. Dad you won't believe it but Brian deprived himself of having real friends and pretended to be Kevin and the rest of those shitheads friends so he could be their leader and not let them cause any real harm but only do little damage which left the kids with not more then a blue eye or bust lip instead of trauma and suicide attempts. I've said it before, dad and I'll say it again. I'm not the real hero for stopping Brian and hitting him. He is the real hero for giving up so much for the sake of others. And for that you need a big heart. Which just so happens to be filled with love, for me.Brian is my boyfriend dad. We're dating." Vincent finally finished, taking in a much needed breath. My wide shocked eyes shifted from him to his silent family.