02 | humble abode

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

A L E X I A D A L T O N

I'm not sure why my parents thought it would be a good idea to bring up kids whilst they're still living their vigilante youth. They have a lot of valid reasons for why they do what they do but sometimes that can come at the cost of their children's safety.

When I say children I mean me, my twenty-two year old self.

They've always protected me since birth, given me extra security and guards so that nothing could happen to me. But a few days ago I was informed that they cannot guarantee my safety anymore and it's best if I go and live with my brother for a little while, he will be able to protect me more than they can.

At this age I just want to live a normal fucking life. No having to be looking over my shoulder at every given moment in case I'm kidnapped and held for a ransom. I'm done with their dangerous lives, ones that can be taken at any moment with their profession.

But what makes it worse is that my brother's is no safer, in fact it's probably more dangerous.

He's the underboss in a gang or something to do with dangerous people. Just what I need, more gangs, more bad people and murderous situations I can find myself in.

Gabriel has always lived life on the edge, ever since he left home at nineteen and joined the dark side, he's always wanted to do things that give him a thrill. And joining a gang was one of them.

We've always been close, especially growing up. He was my big brother who protected me from bullies and nasty boys, even the nice ones. He threatened those who I actually liked and they never came within two feet of me again after crossing my brother.

I hated his protection as a kid but now I realise it came from a good place.

Now I'm going to live with him after not living with him for five years, things are definitely going to be different this time around. Both of our lives have drastically changed and now he's known as a dangerous man.

All I want to do is study and become an astrophysicist and let my relatives' wild lives pass me.

I don't want to live up to their achievements, if you can even call them that. Is wanting a simple life too much to ask for?

When my plane lanes and I make it through security with no hassle, I am picked up on the other end by my brother. He's changed so much since the last time I saw him, he's grown into a man.

Tall and muscular. More tattoos than I last remembered and since when did he wear jewellery? The mafia changed him. I don't remember him having that scar slashed through his eyebrow the last time I saw him but I don't even want to ask.

He's wearing a grin as soon as I see him, opening his long arms wide and I take a couple steps forward to meet his embrace. "Oh God," he mumbles into my hair as he wraps his arms around me. "It's been so long, Lex."