26 | on my knees

✧✧✧

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

✧✧✧

L O N Z O M AT T I A

"So what's your plan with Trey and Jace?" Gabriel asks as he shuts the door of my office.

I'm already pouring myself a glass of whiskey, especially after the day that I've had. I can barely look at the spot on the chair where I fucked Alexia into oblivion and those big brown eyes stared up at me with so must trust and undeniable lust that I might lose myself if I think about it for too long.

At least Gabriel didn't catch on and it's safe to say we're now distracted with the new information. Alexia needs to be the last of my worries right now because if someone like Jace can stab me in the back, then there is going to be a fucking war.

"We keep quiet for now," I say as I turn to look at my underboss, extending a glass of golden whiskey towards him.

Gabriel eyes the drink and then takes it into his hand, latching his lips onto the glass edge. "And do what?"

"Let it play out," I say simply. "We need to make sure things with Jace stay the same until we figure out exactly what has happened. There is no point accusing and waiting to see how he reacts, if he is the culprit then we need to catch him when he least expects it. So for now we act normal and we have him suspecting nothing."

I watch Gabriel as he nods slowly. I know this is probably a lot for him to digest considering he and Jace have been friends since they were kids, they grew up together like I grew up with Zane. To think that someone could betray you like that changes everything.

"If it is him," Gabriel straightens out his spine. "Why would he have given out Landon's information to get back at you or the empire? What exactly would have been his motive?"

For a moment I ponder his question because deep down I don't know. I've never treated Jace differently to any of my other workers, yeah I'm blunt and sometimes an absolute asshole but that's not anything personal—unless they've done something that deserves a drop of blood. Jace knows what I am like, he's seen me at my worst and at my best.

"I don't know," I admit after a few moments. "He's always shown loyalty to me and you since I can remember. But nothing sparks in my mind as to why he would do this, unless he's got another offer for a cash reward to do this."

Gabriel sets his glass down on my desk and shakes his head, crossing his arms over his chest. "No," he says sternly. "There is no way that he would do that. Not for money, he's the richest sod out there. You know the wealth of his parents, he wouldn't have done this for money. It was something else."