22 | unexpected laughter

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

L O N Z O M A T T I A

When my phone rings and I glance over as Ray's name pops up on the screen, I exhale a sigh of relief. One that I've been holding for the past week. I press my thumb to the green icon and hold the phone up to my ear.

"Ray," I say deeply. "It's taken a while for you to bring these reports back to me."

"Apologies, boss," he says sincerely. "Jace took a while to hand over the phones and information. But what I found out, I had to make sure that what I discovered was in fact correct and not a default of the phone."

My eyebrows push together. "What is it, Ray?"

"Well first of all, both the messages sent to Liam and Aaron were sent from the same mobile number," he starts and I hum, leaning back into my office chair. "The second thing I discovered was the fact that one of the text messages sent had the same IP address as your server at home."

I wrap my fingers around my phone tighter. Eyes staring straight ahead at my desk, I resist the urge to throw my phone at the opposite wall but I calm my breathing. Biting down on my jaw to suppress a low growl.

"Whoever sent the messages, Lonzo. They've been inside your house recently."

A part of my soul deteriorates because no one ever wants to be in this situation.

"Can you forward all of this information to me immediately?" I state, my voice growing louder by the second. I feel like I'm moments away from unleashing my wrath but it won't help me, it won't help anyone.

Deep fuelled anger races through my body. Absolute fucking betrayal.

Ray hums and I hear tapping at his keyboard. "Yes, boss. I'll send it all over now. Anything else you need from me?"

"No," I shake my head and lean forward, staring at my laptop screen. "That will be all for now but if I need anything else, I'll call."

"No worries, boss."

The call is disconnected and I lower the phone calmly. As soon as Ray sends over the information I glance through the dates, remembering back to who was at the house then. I flick through my calendar to pinpoint the exact date, grumbling to myself when I remember that I had at least ten of my men here then.

I grab a pen and scribble down every single person who walked through that door on that day, including Gabriel and Jace. My mind floats to Alexia but there is no way it could be her.

After a few long moments of glancing over each name, I stand from my desk and pace my office. What the fuck am I meant to do with this information? It's something I have to work out by myself if I can't trust anyone else.

A part of me knows that Gabriel wouldn't betray me like this but I have no other choice but to be cautious, anyone can have it out for you within this industry. Power hungry, blood thirsty, revenge driven. And I know I haven't been a saint the whole of my life.