31 | lukewarm heart

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

A L E X I A D A L T O N

I've been in bed all day. Seconds feel like hours. Hours feel like an eternity.

But I don't want to move. I refuse to move.

I didn't think Jace's death would affect me like this but it's not just that, it's an accumulation of things that have been building up. A life I will never be able to escape from.

I remember waking up alone even though Lonzo held me until I fell asleep last night.

His presence and warmth strangely comforted me despite everything that happened. I should be running in the opposite direction when it comes to him but for some unknown reason, I want to be around him. As if his safety blanket can somehow cure me from this spiralling depths of hell.

Gabriel walks into my bedroom silently at some point in the afternoon, I barely glance across my shoulder at him to find a tray of food and a large glass of orange juice. "Hi," he says as he walks in and sets it down on my bedside table. "How are you feeling?"

I take a look at him and then glance back to the wall. He sighs deeply and then perches on the edge of my bed, I pull the covers up to my chin and sink my face further into the feather pillow.

"Lex, please talk to me."

"There is nothing to say."

His expression crumbles but I avoid his gaze. He presses a hand to the cusp of my ankle over the duvet and I don't move my leg away. "I've been thinking," he says aloud. "That maybe things would be better, easier and safer for you if you didn't live with us here."

What?

I say nothing so Gabriel continues. "This place is known by a lot of people, including Landon, Lonzo's workers. If we moved you somewhere that is unknown, secluded but full of security and guards. Things might be better for you, so you can study in peace, so you can build your own life, be independent like I know you want to be."

My fist grips the covers tighter.

"I thought I could guarantee your safety here but I can't even do that and the only thing I can think of is to move you somewhere that no one knows, only me and Lonzo. We can check on you, we can assign you a bodyguard. But it might put your mind at ease." He says softly and I clench my eyes together.

Gabriel sighs again and I don't say anything.

"Think about it," he says after a few moments. "I want you to feel safe and comfortable. Whatever you need, but above all I want you to be happy."

The room turns silent again and even though I don't mind Gabriel's company, I'm partly relieved when he stands up to leave. I hear him loiter by the door before he leaves completely.