04 | some talents stick

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

A L E X I A D A L T O N

I've been alone at the house all morning, Gabriel and Lonzo have stepped out for some business or whatever it is that they do. But that gives me some time to study for a test I have in a few days and peace and quiet is what I need.

Lonzo doesn't like my presence, that's clear. I should probably care more but I don't, he can scowl at me and curse under his breath every time I'm in his way but I'm here because of my brother and I know that he will always have my back.

I know that I'm not going to be here forever and big scary criminal bosses like Lonzo don't scare me. Hell, I even like toying with them to drop their egos down a notch or two. Sometimes their heads are so far up their own asses that I'm surprised they don't suffocate themselves.

That's one thing I love about Gabriel, he's still level headed. Gangs haven't changed him, not that I've noticed anyway. He might look like a dangerous guy on the outside with his dark tattoos and display of rings across his fingers but he's still the soft brother I remember.

Although I know he can be deathly. I remember watching him kill someone when I was thirteen and he was eighteen. Bludgeoned them to death with a meat cleaver in our kitchen, they were hunting down my parents and came across my brother instead.

That's exactly why they trained us from a young age, how to defend, how to fight, how to survive.

I will never forget the expression of the guy as he laid on our floor, half of his brains hanging out the back of his head. The smell of his blood still is a clear memory in my head, the thought makes my stomach churn because it was everywhere. Splashes of blood hit my face and coated my hair because Gabriel didn't know when to stop, not even when his skull was cracked open.

Being thirteen and seeing someone murdered definitely takes its toll on your own mental state. My parents forced me into therapy and counselling and everything in between but it never stopped the nightmares, they told me it makes me stronger.

That's when Gabriel realised his love for adrenaline and dangerous organised activities. For me, it made me run in the opposite direction. I could deal without the worry of a stranger breaking into your house to harm your parents and anyone related to them, all I've wanted is to be different.

But they told me I can't be out of their protection because I could be kidnapped or taken for ransom. So I stayed put and did what I needed to do so I could study for my university degree, something that I can achieve whilst being at home.

At four o'clock the front door opens and Gabriel and Lonzo emerge. I presume their meeting went well as Lonzo doesn't have a face like thunder, until he looks at me sitting at the kitchen counter.

He really fucking hates me.

"Hey," Gabriel dumps his jacket on a chair and prowls over to me. "Your day been okay?"