29 | don't make me go

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

A L E X I A D A L T O N

All I can hear is the loud ringing that vibrates my ear drums. They ache. Fuck. They ache so much. Pressure begins to build inside my head and everything slows down, so slow that I can see fraction by fraction through my blurry vision.

Jace's body collapses onto me and we hit the floor with a heavy thud.

Blood coats my face, my hands. Where did all of this blood come from?

I blink rapidly, over and over to try and get my eyes to clear because I can't see anything but a light haze of the floor and that splatter of blood.

My stomach knots inside me and I resist the urge to vomit. There it is, that tangy smell of blood. I can feel my heart rattle inside my chest like an animal trying to get out of a cage and yet, I still don't know if I'm hurt.

Who got shot?

Two gunshots went off. Lonzo had the gun aimed straight for Jace but his gun was still pointed in my direction.

Jace's body feels stupidly heavy on top of mine, noticing that his gun has now slid across the floor and it's out of reach. After a few moments I can hear the muffled sound of shouting–bellowing in clear distress.

Why does this always happen?

Blind panic. Blood. This fucking kitchen.

I twist my head to glance at Jace. Dark crimson blood is pouring from his mouth, barely able to move. The light has left his eyes and he's now attempting to clutch his stomach or his chest. I don't know.

The ringing continues. More shouting until I see a pair of legs beside me. Someone slides their arms underneath my arms and tugs me from underneath Jace, smeared ruby blood across the marble floors.

A face appears in front of mine. Gabriel.

His lips move but I can't hear anything but rumbling–vibrating.

Gabriel frowns and then looks down at my arm, where I was wearing that cardigan. He peels it from my shoulder and he exhales a curse word because I can work out the letters on his lips.

I attempt to glance over my shoulder at whatever he's cursing at but he swipes my cheek so that I don't look. His eyes roam my face, keeping it in place before he glances at my arm again. I can't even feel anything. My whole arm is numb.

Did I get hit?

"Lex," he says again as my eyes fall heavy. "Deep breaths."

I didn't even realise I was breathing heavily until he said so and now I realise my chest is about to explode. He swipes his thumb across my cheekbone, blood now coating his hands that might be mine or it's Jace's.