12 | pure torture

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

L O N Z O M A T T I A

Tuesday flies around far too quickly for my liking. I barely had the chance to acknowledge that it's Alexia's birthday, probably because I've barely seen her in the last five days. It's obvious that she's avoiding me, all because of the footage. All because I finally got under her skin.

Maybe I chipped away at her a little bit after all.

I agreed to go out for her birthday tonight. A part of me wants to turn around and say I'm too busy but another part of me wants to go. A part that I don't want to admit to myself for my own sanity.

But it's still a night out with two of my closest friends, workers, whatever you want to call them. I deserve a drink too, especially after these past weeks, it's been a nonstop shit show and I'm ready to have a night off. Even if nightclubs are the worst places alive.

I prefer bars, quiet, dimmed lighting. Not overdressed women with flashing lights and pounding EDM music. It reminds me of being a teenager and some of these people clearly haven't grown out of that phase.

Alexia on the other hand, she's pretty much still trying to live out her youth. With the background that Gabriel told me about her parents, about rarely being allowed to leave the house because her parents are known and wanted vigilantes. I understand why she wants to go out before she gets too old to do so.

A knock at my office door stirs me as I shuffle away some paperwork. Gabriel emerges before I say anything but the door was already slightly ajar so I let it slide. He's wearing a smart navy shirt with a few top buttons undone, flashing off his tattooed chest. The sleeves are rolled up to his elbows and the hem is tucked into a pair of black trousers, belt clung to his hips.

"You ready? We need to go."

I pull back in my chair, hearing it squeak below me. I'll have to fix that later. "Now?" I check my watch. "It's barely eight thirty."

Gabriel hangs on the door handle and rolls his eyes. "Look, we don't get a say in the birthday girl's orders. It's the way it goes."

"Since when?"

"Since she was born," he shrugs simply. "We need to go."

I huff out a breath and stand from my desk. "Give me fifteen minutes and I'll be ready."

"Alright," he nods once. "We're downstairs."

He walks from my office and I head to my room before showering, changing and styling my wet brown-black hair. I push back the strands before some fall over my forehead. I take one look in the mirror and adjust the collar on my dark shirt, grabbing a jacket on the way out.

I head downstairs, laughter filling the space. Something weird pangs in my chest. Laughter is extremely rare in this house, especially when it's normally only me and Gabriel who live and spend time in it.