52 | home and safe

✧✧✧

L O N Z O M A T T I A

"Where did they spot her?" I ask Gabriel as we climb back into the car.

Gabriel chucks me his phone. "In the woods, down the mountain. Apparently they saw a brunette girl with a ripped top, carrying a gun."

"Which area?" I demand.

"Zane sent me a location, apparently they are already there but can't find her. They lost her as she ran through the woods."

I glance at Gabriel's phone and I squeeze it between my palm. "She escaped."

"I taught her how to pick a lock when she was a child, she always had crafty hands." His mouth curls out of the corner of my eye.

I might hate what her parents did to them, focusing on their career rather than the safety of their children. But at least they were taught life lessons on how to defend, how to survive if the moment came. I'm grateful for Gabriel for being such a good brother to Alexia, always by her side and protecting her.

"We need to find her," I say, keeping my eyes peeled as Gabriel zooms past.

"She'll be okay," he reassures me. "She's tough. Remember?"

Slowly I nod. "I know she's tough but Landon..." I trail off. "I fear he might have done things to her, fucked with her mind."

My eyes clench as I rid myself of these thoughts. Despite what Alexia has been through, we need to support her as much as we can. He could have done some horrible things to her and that sets my blood on fire.

I wish I could bring him back to life, just to kill him all over again.

Murdering him felt good but all I can think about is having Alexia safe in my arms. Making sure to look after her and protect her from any more harm this world brings us. I hate myself for being distracted, I thought it was best.

I thought wrong.

Gabriel turns down a dirt track that can't even be classed as a road. More of a footpath that we decided to trespass on.

"Okay," Gabriel snaps me out of my trace. "This is where Zane said she was spotted."

We take a glance through every window but she's nowhere to be seen, Zane's men already know that. My only thought is that she must have been desperate to get out of the woods, finding a town or a street that could help her find her bearings.

"Let's find the closest main road at the bottom of the hill," I order and point in one direction. "She might have flagged someone down for help or something."

He hums in response. "Alright, boss."

Gabriel turns around and heads back to the road on the side of the wooded area. Anticipation spikes inside of me, desperate to see her face. Hold her and make sure that she's okay.

I pray she's somewhere safe.

As we approach the end of the wooded area, Gabriel turns left and onto a road.

"Look," I lean forward in my seat and point towards an ambulance at the end of the road. The lights are still flashing. My head twists to glance at Gabriel, I know we're thinking the exact same thing. "Let's go."

Gabriel nods and parks up on the side of the road. We hurry over the ambulance to hear voices, the back of the van open and two paramedics are spotted.

"Please, I'm fine," I hear a strangled and distressed voice. "I don't want to go to the hospital."