Chapter 20: Pearl POV

Thank God Gem had caught me.

Phoenix had taken me by surprise, and I was halfway to my death when I landed on my back in the dragon's saddle next to Gemini.

I looked over to the elven side of the cliff. Scott had caught Phoenix by the wrist and was yelling something at her.

He swung her a few times before she let go and grabbed the edge of the cliff and pulled herself up. Scott seemed to struggle, and I had the sudden urge to help him, but then I remembered we were on opposite sides of the war.

Gem flew us back to our side of the chasm. "I got your axe." She said and handed me the golden weapon. I took it, but that wasn't what I was paying attention to. I stared down at the scattered bodies hundreds of feet below us.

I looked back at the elves. Scott straightened up and the siblings glared at us from their side.

"Retreat." Fwhip said to our generals. "Tomorrow, we attack again. Our soldiers need rest."

They nodded and our army started to back off from the chasm. We had a camp set up a few miles from the city limits. Gem flew us there ahead of the army. "We need to get you to the healing tent. Rest until we get there."

"I'm fine Gem." I argued and tried to sit up. Pain instantly shot up my spine, burning like hot metal was being pressed into my skin. "You know what? Rest sounds good."

I leaned against Gem for the rest of the way to the camp. It was unsettling how chilly the air seemed around her, like a frozen aura.

We landed and Gem called the Overgrown healers. A few helped me off the saddle and half led me; half carried me to the healing tent. My ankle was on fire, and I had a nasty cut across my forehead. I knew because I felt blood soaking my left eyebrow.

There were actually multiple healing tents. The one I was brought to was already filled with a few dozen people brought back during the earlier hours of the fight. Time flies when you're fighting elves. The battle had lasted 6 hours, maybe longer.

Gem and a few others helped me onto a green cot. Two healers immediately came to my side. One dumped an herbal mixture down my throat that burned my tongue and the roof of my mouth, but it instantly soothed the stinging of my cut.

My eyes felt heavy, and I closed them as they examined my ankle.

"Broken." Said one of the healers. "Not too bad. After some treatment you'll be walking again in a day."

"What about fighting?" I mumbled. Silence.

"I wouldn't recommend it but possibly if you're careful." The second one answered.

I laughed. "I'll try. But this is war we're talking about."

"You'll need stitches above your eye."

"Alright then."

They put a numbing serum inside my cut, and I decided to keep my eyes closed as they worked. I could feel the sensation of the needle sliding through my skin but there was no pain. It gave me goosebumps.

By the time they were done, everyone else had finished their march back.

"We left a guard around the perimeter of the city. How're you doing Pearl?" Sausage asked.

"I feel like a piece of-" I started.

"That's enough Pearl. She's doing great. Only a few injuries luckily." Gem said for me.