Chapter 33: Erin POV

Scott just shouted at me.

I froze. All the uncertainty that had been haunting me for the past couple of months began to creep in again.

My ears were already pounding. The voice that had been bothering me since Scott loaned me the crystal had been basically screaming the entire time, I helped Scott into Gilded Helianthia. My ears felt like they were about to fall off. And here they were again...

I told you. No one can stand you for long...

I barely heard Fwhip's next sentence...but then I heard him say Xornoth. I completely lost myself and I don't remember telling my body to attack him...but I did? Breaking Fwhip's nose wasn't really a bad thing I guess...but then I fell to the ground, pulling the chains on my wrist and almost pulling my arms out of socket.

That wasn't me.

Now we were getting dragged off the platform as the train containing all of the rulers zoomed off into the distance. My one chance to get them all in one go. And kill me.

I was surprised when the guards dragged us passed the mansion and down towards the inner, much thinner wall around the city. I knew these streets like the back of my hand and as soon as we took a left at the gate and started to travel down Escape Avenue, I knew we were headed to the Eastvale high security dungeon. The name of the streets a joke, as no one has escaped the prison before.

Scott looked nervous as we approached the barred gates. It opened right after Fwhip stepped in front of the body scan. It closed behind us with a clang and Scott jumped. I swear a look of pity crossed Gem's face.

Black stone bricks made the walkway up to the dungeon. A huge castle looking thing with turrets for watchtowers and arrow slits covered up with "unbreakable" glass. This castle was the original Tay resident hundreds of years ago, but it had been converted into a prison during the last decade.

Prison guards lined the turrets and walkways armed with crossbows and spears. There was a courtyard where the lower security prisoners were let out once a day, but higher security prisoners, a.k.a. me and Scott, weren't allowed out of our cells under almost any circumstances.

Ok, I know a lot about the prison. I wanted to know how to break out if I was ever landed here...but there wasn't a way. Yay us...

The metal drawbridge lowered down over a large trench dug right around the perimeter. It was reinforced by blackstone, and my legs felt like lead as we walked across it.

The gate shut, and it went pitch dark for a moment before lights above us flickered on. There was another reinforced gate right in front of us that Fwhip also had to scan for. Like I said, this prison is intense.

Then, without warning, something dark and rough was pressed against my eyes and I struggled to get out of Gem and the soldier's hands as they blindfolded me. "What the hell is this for!?" I cried in protest.

"So, you don't know how to get out." Fwhip answered simply and the soldiers shoved us on.

I tried to pay attention to which way we turned. Left, left again, a ramp down, right, a few steps down to the right again, left, left, right, left, right- I finally lost track and stopped trying. This place was a maze and specifically designed to confuse the prisoners.

I heard clanging as more gates opened and closed letting us in and out of special hallways and down staircases. Suddenly, we stopped. I felt someone untying the ropes bound around my wing joints.