Chapter 45: James POV

Fwhip had called an urgent meeting in Eastvale.

So that's where I was. Sitting in the meeting room off of the Tay Mansion with him, Gemini, Katherine, Pixl, Joel, Lizzie, Sausage, Joey, and Pearl.

"Has anyone seen Shrub recently...?" Fwhip asked.

"No. Not since she came and gave me the crown a few months ago." Katherine said and bit her lip, the emperor crown, not on her head, but sitting neatly in her lap. Fwhip nodded.

"Alright...I sent her an invite, but I guess we'll have to proceed without her." Good, because I was wondering why Fwhip's arm was in a sling and why he had a large scrape across his forehead.

But suddenly, a chill spread through the air, and the windows began to frost over, even though it was the middle of July.

"The snow kings here." Fwhip said grimly right before the door burst open, and Scott stalked inside.

He looked worse than the last time I saw him. He seemed paler, and thinner. His cheeks were basically hollow and there were dark circles under his eyes. He had a large gash right under his right eye that looked fairly new and could probably use some stitches. He had grown out his hair just a bit, and it was tied at the base of his neck. The rest of his hair framed his face almost menacingly. His sword was also visibly in its hilt.

"What do you want Fwhip?" he growled.

"Scott are you ok?" Gem asked and stood up, but Scott flinched away.

Fwhip's brow creased, and he pursed his lips. "Is something wrong?" he asked him with genuine concern.

"Why would you care?" Scott snapped angrily. Fwhip seemed a little stunned. "Now what was so important that you had to drag me out here?"

Fwhip opened his mouth, but no words came out. Then he sighed. "Phoenix broke into the mansion last night to retrieve her daggers."

Scott's eyes widened. "WHAT!?" He roared. "DO YOU HAVE HER HERE-?"

"No." Fwhip cut off. "She managed to escape with her weapons but not before killing 17 people. But I'm afraid she's been corrupted."

I saw both Scott and Gem tense, and my eyebrow raised.

"What do you mean by "corrupted"?" Pearl asked nervously.

"Her arms have been visibly blackened and her eyes are the same as Xornoth's were." Fwhip said. Scott's hand shot up to the crystal, and everyone's eyes were drawn to it.

"How did you get that...?" Sausage asked slowly. Scott glared at him.

"Shrub gave it to me." He said defensively.

"I assume before she disappeared?" Joey said, giving him a look of suspicion.

"Guys, stop it. He didn't steal it from her. I know." Gem reassured them.

"Hm." Sausage said but didn't take his eyes off the necklace. Fwhip restarted the conversation about Erin.

"I'm afraid we might have another Xornoth on our hands." He said.

"No! Not if we just leave her alone!" Scott snapped.

"Scott, listen, I know she's your sister, but if we do leave her alone, she could plan something to take down us all." Fwhip said with a tone of urgency. "She was heading South from Eastvale. Does anyone know where she might be headed in that direction?"