Chapter 36: Katherine POV

A few hours before Erin's escape...

We had hooked Scott up in one of the medical rooms. We were draining a pint of his and Erin's blood in hopes that we'd find the source of their powers. Especially since Scott's showed up so suddenly. I was also hoping to have a one-on-one talk with Scott...maybe then he'd cooperate.

He was still asleep in the chair, and Gem was staring curiously at the blackstone around his forearms.

"What are you thinking?" I asked her.

"I want to know what would happen if we took it off." She said.

"Right- right now?" I stuttered.

"Yes. Without him controlling it."

"That's...that's kind of smart. To test the extent." I agreed. "We need to get Fwhip in here to take them off though."

Ten minutes later we got him in the room.

"You want to do what!?" He said after we explained.

"Just for a second. While he's still sleeping." I cut in.

"Alright...if this goes wrong, I'm blaming it on you two." He said, after a while of trying to convince him, and stepped in front of Scott. He pressed his thumbs into each of the grooves of the cuffs and they unlatched. Instantly, frost crept across Scott's face and fingers, leaving them red. His hair began to get matted with snow and his breathes came out white in the frigid air around him.

Frost covered the chair he was in and crept up the walls onto the ceiling.

"Oh my god..." I said slowly and crouched down in front of him. I brushed his cheek with my finger and instantly drew it back from the severe cold.

I turned around slowly to look at Gem and Fwhip. Both had looks of shock on their faces. I looked back down and saw the blood crystalizing in the tube. I really quickly reclipped the cuffs and the frost began to melt again, and his body temperature returned to normal. But even touching the cuffs for a second drained me.

"Can- can you go get me a towel?" I asked them, and both of them left the room. A few minutes later Gem came back in with a towel.

"Fwhip's checking up on Phoenix, I'm going to see how Shrub's doing." She said, leaving me alone with Scott and the rest of the scientists.

Scott woke up in the next hour, after I had dried all of the melted frost off of him. We were done taking his blood and everyone had left the room. I wanted to talk to him alone.

"Hm?" Scott mumbled and opened his eyes.

"Hi Scott." I said with a smile, sitting down in a chair in front of him.

Scott looked around then down at his arms clamped to the chair.

"Oh sorry, I meant to take those off." I said, taking the metal off his arms, but keeping the blackstone on.

He frowned. "What are you trying to do?" He asked suspiciously.

"Nothing." I answered honestly.

He looked around. "You're setting me up! Where's everyone hiding?"

"Scott- No one's hiding. It's just you and me. Please calm down." I pleaded. "I just want to talk to you."